Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly- Treasure Chest (UE3)

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Hey all. Something i just finished working on. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Textures and low poly asset inside UE3.

chest01.jpg

New
chest03.jpg

-Buddikaman

Replies

• turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Buddikaman,

The treasure chest has an interesting design. I feel that you didn't really use your UV space wisely. You have it uniquely unwrapped all around when generally they are very similar. I would watch out on how you put dirt on the chest as well. You seem to have a seam on the left side of the chest. It looks like it is a mix of your normals and that you have dirt on one edge while non on the other. Do you have a specular map assigned to this? I think you could get a lot more out of it by differentiating the materials.

I like the way you set up all your props in the scene. The one thing that bothers me is that there are no shadows under your props. It doesn't look natural! Bake those lightmaps out and it will look much better.

I hope this stuff helps, keep pushing it!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. Yeah i havent figured out how to get shadows under my props yet. Is that under the light setting, or what do you mean by bake the light maps.

Also the dirt was supposed to make the bronze look very weathered, but looking at it now, i did not put enough dark to override the bronze color. yeah, the edge normals do looked flawed, ive gotten this problem before(on pillar in backround) it could have something to do with xNormal.

-Buddikaman
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    turpedo wrote: »
    I feel that you didn't really use your UV space wisely. You have it uniquely unwrapped all around when generally they are very similar.

Sorry to derail, but I've always been told to use unique UVs for everything using normal maps. Obviously for object-space thats a no-brainer, but with tangent-space is it really not important? I figured some renderers might get screwy with it if you overlapped stuff (or can you just +1 tiled in positive space or something?)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i also don't think there is anything wrong with the uv layout. maybe if he was making an iphone app it would matter, in which case you would only have color map.
    To me, your normals aren't really doing much for the treasure chest. I would go back and add AO to the color map and also add some edge highlights and also highlights on the ornate features of the chest. You did not post a spec map, are you using one?
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree the normals arent reading well. I actually just increased the intensity on them a good amount in crazybump. The color map has AO, two layers actually, 150% opacity together. I recently did add edge highlights but agree they are not showing enough from far away. A shame i deleted the layer thinking i was finished. Thanks for feedback.

-Buddikaman
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Specular map. What does it look like.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Welll your specular map doesnt look that prominent in the picture did you use a Lerp node to interpolate the specular map between two constants (for example 8-25)
    If you do not have that atm your specular ranges from 0-1 and looks like that. If I remember it correctly.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    marks wrote: »
    Sorry to derail, but I've always been told to use unique UVs for everything using normal maps. Obviously for object-space thats a no-brainer, but with tangent-space is it really not important? I figured some renderers might get screwy with it if you overlapped stuff (or can you just +1 tiled in positive space or something?)

Obviously you cant project overlapped UVs but the solution is simple. Model half of the low poly and projection the high poly(can still be the whole chest model) and just symmetry the parts that need it.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Uhm no, model the full one and move the duplicated uv one uv space to the right.

That way you don't have hard edges on the mirrored half's seam.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey HAL, could you explain in further detail on the LERP setup you are talking about, and how that would benefit my model by getting it out of the 0 to 1?

-Buddikaman
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    looks good. it may be a good idea for you to bake AO shadows from the high poly into your diffuse texture. it will definitely help to give your model the shape you're going for with the normals.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Sumthin like this, though you should ignore the gloss part that turned out kinda crappy.

mat.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hal - the lerp in your spec isn't actually lerp'ing anything, since the alpha is set to 1. Can just use a straight up single vector to multiply it by, no need for the lerp

In the spec power, hook your grayscale spec mask into the alpha of the lerp, so that black = is one spec power range and white is the other. Values of gray change the spec power, making the highlight smaller or wider. With the alpha set to .5, its still an even spread between the two values, so you won't ever get differntiation between spec power/surfaces - its just going to be uniform with more numbers to set instead of one.

multiplying the spec will help it pop more, but also be aware going > 1.0 will cause it to bloom, sometimes in undesirable ways.

chest looks cool, cranking the spec a lil will probably help :D
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks moose, lesson learned :/
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworking the textures. So far..

chest03.jpg