Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iphone Biplane racing game -art test

For an aero gp racing game for the Iphone. Low poly for sure, was told 200 brought it in at 195 polys. They wanted patterns that would be readable on the small screen so no numbers, I tried to keep it to simple line work for the designs.

biplane_render_01.jpg

biplane_render_02.jpg

biplane_render_03.jpg

biplane_D.jpg

Replies

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    1024*1024 pixel maps for an Iphone game?

:o

If you had to make a smaller final texture, show that one instead, maybe..
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum wrote: »
    1024*1024 pixel maps for an Iphone game?

:o

Yeah, I was going to squeeze it down when I finally gave it to 'em, but I like to work big and later make it small if I have to.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    yeah. texture is gigantic and also...that's not a biplane. Those have 2 sets of wings stacked on top of each other.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Also, i suspect you didn't use your ref too well: a plane without horizontal stabilisers at the tail is physically impossible and looks strange to anybody who knows even a little bit about airplanes...
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Also, i suspect you didn't use your ref too well: a plane without horizontal stabilisers at the tail is physically impossible and looks strange to anybody who knows even a little bit about airplanes...

Canards? :P

And yeah, this looks a bit off. Specially seeing as it's a racing plane - they rely really heavilly on manouverability, and I imagine manouverability would be significantly effected by.. you know.. having no elevators.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    things to fix:
    - smoothing groups (looks like rough model, without any finetuning like smoothing groups)
    - gray shading in the texture (dark != black + blend mode multiply, instead blend something with the same color somewhat more dark and more color contrast)
    - way to big texture and screenshots,- if you aim for the iPhone get used to that smaler screen and create textures and screenshots that fit within that world. (512² should be okay, but 256² might do the job as well with this simple model)
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Everything everyone else said and your UVs look pretty warped and/or stretched in a lot of areas. Overall, it's just looking sloppy and hard to read right now, take some more time if you've got it to look up some more ref and really tighten it all up.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if your texture is gonna be small for an iphone game, i suggest working at the resolution its going to be. i dont know what the general sentiment is about working large and shrinking down, but most people i talk to say its bad. you get caught up in the details (like those 2 pixel lines you have on the wings) and when you shrink it down you lose that detail. its just quicker and looks better if you work at the resolution its supposed to be in the end.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    dude, your plane has no elevators, add some dammit lol.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    It's never wise to work on such huge textures and then scaled them down to 128 or 256. They will look horrible, lazy and lose lots of detail. It's always good to start the texture in the final resolution for such low poly stuff imo.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. Since the most recent system cycle when I started doing 3d was GC/PS2/Xbox I never was really forced to work below that. Loud and clear about the texture size >.<

Also chalk another one up to not surfing over enough reference for an object I know only shit about.

Major fixes - went back and added elevators, and cut down the
    polys elsewhere bringing it in at 191
    - applied smoothing groups, if it still looks clunky it may be
    because its reaaally low poly, I can post the wireframe if
    you'd like.
    - Resized the texture to 256 x 256 and painted some more
    detail, especially with the wing flaps.
    - Tried to tweak the UV's a little more so the didn't look so loose
    renderhjs wrote: »
    things to fix:
    - gray shading in the texture (dark != black + blend mode multiply, instead blend something with the same color somewhat more dark and more color contrast)

Most of the color gradient on the red I drew from red and just upped the saturation and dropped the value. Unless you're talking about the AO I have baked on there. I'm posting on with AO and one without to be sure.

Thanks to you all again.

Just in case you wanted to see the ref
    aeroGP.jpg

aero_gp_01.jpg

With AO

aero_gp_02_w_AO.jpg

Without AO

aero_gp_02_w_out_AO.jpg

With AO

biplane_D_AO.jpg

Without AO

biplane_D_w_out_AO.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Depending on how close you wanna get to your reference, you'll need to extend the nose of your plane.

Also you should extend the wingspan of the plane, as right now your horizontal tail fin things are almost as wide as your front wings.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haiasi wrote: »
    Depending on how close you wanna get to your reference, you'll need to extend the nose of your plane.

Also you should extend the wingspan of the plane, as right now your horizontal tail fin things are almost as wide as your front wings.

Thank you

From side to side or front to back? I figure you mean from side to side, though I just want to make sure.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You should extend the wings out side to side by about 35%, and extend the nose of the plane front to back by about the same amount.

Of course I can only guesstimate from looking at the screenshots. Hard to really know how much :P
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haiasi wrote: »
    You should extend the wings out side to side by about 35%, and extend the nose of the plane front to back by about the same amount.

Of course I can only guesstimate from looking at the screenshots. Hard to really know how much :P

cool, thank you

yeah it was hard on the ref hunt because all the different angles I found were of different planes. So I just frankensteined what I saw in those different angles, but yeah pulling out the nose and the wings is at least an easy fix :D
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor wrote: »

these are awesome, thank you! Will be sure to come in handy if I can land this since I'll need to make more :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    to much gray, here is what I mean (right is yours):
    zotterairplanecoloradju.jpg

it should be more obvious now I hope
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    to much gray, here is what I mean (right is yours):
    it should be more obvious now I hope

ooh, wow, I see what you're saying, much more vibrant :)

so that's all just tweaking with blend modes?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using AO and after a cartoony style, I find it helps to multiply the AO bake at about 75-85% opacity and then use an inverted version of the AO as a mask for a hue/sat adjustment layer above that, with the saturation ramped right up (or possibly simply colourised to a dark brown/orange or purple). I tend to try and do this at least a little even with realistic looking stuff.

It helps to stop that deadening effect that simply multiplying an AO pass can give by stopping the shadows just going grey and black.

With smaller screen graphics that tend towards a cartoony style, it's often helpful to paint the shadows a contrasting colour as it helps the shapes read and keeps some life in the piece. Simply darkening them can easily make it appear murky and dull.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    too many small details, remeber the res you will be renbdering at.

my advice, render out t that res and i think you will find that its too busy and a simpler design in the texture would read much better
    Also drawing at 16 or 8 x res means that you wont have an optimised texture sheets, and all you straight lines will get horribly jaggy as they are diagonal across the tpage
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon: thank you very much, that will definitely be something to take into account, they haven't gotten back on what style they want for sure, but if it's toony I can definitely use this, thanks!
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    too many small details, remeber the res you will be renbdering at.

My advice, render out t that res and i think you will find that its too busy and a simpler design in the texture would read much better
    Also drawing at 16 or 8 x res means that you wont have an optimised texture sheets, and all you straight lines will get horribly jaggy as they are diagonal across the tpage

Thank you very much for the info, not having done uber low poly before I'm still working out of a hi-poly work flow. But I'm curious are you talking about the 16 or 8 bit setting in photoshop? If neither are optimized which would be best.