Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Warrior

Hey all, just want to say that I've been a lurker around here since last year's GDC in Frisco and this is my first post here. Gotta say that seeing all the guys and their work around the Dominance War booth was very rewarding.

Anyways, here is a character I've been working on for practice. She is a simple model, currently sitting at 4800 polys.I have just started to unwrap her but wanted some opinion on the base mesh first. I wish I could bring her into Mudbox to get more detail but I haven't worked much with it. However, I am anxious to start learning after I get 3DsMax down pat. Any comments and/or criticism is welcome and encouraged :)

femchar1.jpg

The next picture is a link because, for some reason, the forum wont let me post it...

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/femchar2.jpg/

again, any criticism is appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I think that unless you are an AMAZING texture artist, this model is ultimately going to come out uninteresting. It looks like you took faces from the base mesh and duplicated them out and decided that was going to be the armor because it was convenient. If you have any concept drawings, you should post them so we have a better idea of where this is headed, and if you don't have any drawings, doing some might help you flesh out the idea.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should do some anatomy study, and perhaps do a few character tutorials to get a better understanding on character modeling workflows. Right now this is really unoptimized and a bit out of proportion.
  • Forgottenhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. I will say that she is my first attempt at a full human character. I've really only been working with assets up to this point. @P442, You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I knew that you were right as soon as I read your post, she will ultimately be pretty uninteresting from what it looks like so far. @HolyMonkey, I like and appreciate your input as well. I've always thought that my edgeflows needed a lot of work. Oh and if anyone knows of any good character tutorials involving 3dsMax then that would be fantastic! Thanks guys!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this is one of the most common tutorials. Definitely a good one for beginners. there are other ways of doing it than this, but it should get you started.

http://www.3dtotal.com//ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php