gettin my learn on

Derelict-
polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like a good start, but there's a lot of unnecessary detail thats been modeled in that could be done with normal maps.

You'd be better of with getting in the basic silhouettes than using normal maps for the detail.

Also, the trim at the top of the building looks like it has a lot of polies, unless the camera is gonna be that high, id change it to something more basic.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Ark's right in terms of detail, though it's rather nice detail. If it's going to be in game, a lot of that work could be shown in the normal map.

Proportion seems okay though it may be me but the fire hydrant seems a might thin and a bit short.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I suppose if it's a fps game where the camera can get right up to the models, then yeah leave the detail modeled in, otherwise normal maps would do just fine.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    in the future, we will still read newspapers, but the dispensers will hover!
  • Derelict-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Derelict- polycounter lvl 17
    This is all just to get the normals i'm giong to remake the whole scene low poly then texture it.
    I've never made a succesful normal yet so I'm going through a good tutorial I just need some stuff to work with 1st.

I want it to look something like this when it's done. But better and with normal maps.
    http://derelict.ichian.org/models/aptTexture.html
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Alot of stuff like that can be done quicker with Crazybump.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I don't really know how far you're taking it without the concept/layout for it.

But off the top of my head I'd say to do something with the sidewalk edge where it dips down at the intersection. The paper dispenser should probably be facing the sidewalk. The garbage containers should have rails on the side for the truck to lift.

Looks neat so far!