Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gorillaz Lead Singer Character Model

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on Polycount. I have been more of a lurker here than anything. I figured it's time to share however :) Here is my latest piece. I have been trying to update my portfolio so I decided to re-do a piece from awhile ago. This is the completely re-done Lead Singer of the Gorillaz Piece. His name is 2D. Here is a Beauty Shot, Real time shot (I think I will post an Xnormal realtime shot as well later) the sculpt, the wires, and the textures. Please crits welcome, and if you have any questions let me know.

The specs are:
1x 2048 Diffuse
1x 2048 Spec
1x 2048 Normal
9,322 Tri's

2D_Final_Comp_Peg.jpg

2D_Final_Still_Realtime.jpg

2D_Final_Sculpt.jpg

2D_Final_Textures.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, I like it.
    However I think the render doesn't look as good as that textured shot of him - it seems too dark and not in the right style for the character.
    Also his hands look a bit... I dunno... zombie-ish? Maybe too many blurry darks in the texture.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I agree, the lighting isn't really showing all that hard work you put into both the model and textures.
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His eyes are suppose to be black, if I remember correctly Murdoc damaged 2D's eyes in a driving accident.

Wikipedia:
    (keep in mind that 2D's real name is Stuart Pot)
    One year later, in a poor attempt to impress some women, Murdoc performed a 360 in a Tesco car park in Nottingham with his vehicle. This sent Stu-Pot crashing through the windshield, hitting his head on the curb. He woke from his coma and also dented his left eye to match his right one, thus giving him black/grey eyes. It was then that Murdoc dubbed him "2D", revealing that the origins of the name "2D" have nothing to do with the term "two-dimensional", but rather stands for the two dents in his head

It looks good though, I really like the sculpt. I also agree with the lighting, it doesn't do the model justice.

Also, I bet you could scale all those 2048's down to 1024 with barely any detail loss. But I don't think it is a big deal either way.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome!

I agree about the lighting. It's too yellow, like dust in sunlight. Maybe try out white, blue or red?
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everyone!

MoP - Thank you. I agree with your insight. The hands were really tricky for this guy. The artist varies his hands from concept to concept to concept. As far as the texture goes. It does indeed need to be adjusted, looking at it they do look a little zombish

Ark - I am seeing what you guys are saying. Any suggestions for the beauty render?

Heart_Murmur - Thanks man. You and my friend jon both got after me about this. It's awesome when people who know the band/ like the band and the lore. They look at it waaaay different. Honestly, I didn't like the look of the black eyes. I tried some different stuff, and I didn't like that the black eyes just didn't seem to pop.

Vig - Thank you, and thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks again everone. This is the first message board I have posted on that has given me real feedback on my art. I should have been on polycount sooner.. I fail.... :)