Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'The Man Eater'

Max
Max
This one, used in a school game project called Words Of Power. A spellcasting game where this mug was the main foe. Adding shaman masks, body paint, shields, weapons and armour made him a different foe. I only saved the helmet since the other things turned out too crap to show.battler_render.jpg?t=1251464862
Flats-1.jpg?t=1251464811Breakdown-1.jpg?t=1251464835

Replies

• Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking okay, but his silhouette is kind of plain, try accentuating his potbelly to make him luke not so normal. Anything that forms a parallel line will be uninteresting too, such as the legs.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know i may not be one to comment as I am not a character artist but in the top image the hands look anatomically odd all his fingers are the same length maybe you could add to the realism of the piece by making his fingers slightly different in length, I think they could be worked on.

Maybe give him some war wounds so he has a few stitches across his chest and maybe legs you could have a scar going vertially down across one of his eye's. So he has that appearence that he is battle hardened. I reckon this could jazz him up a bit and make him look more interesting.

But other than that I like it I think the textures look nice, I like the subtle hints of dirt on his belly and gollumesqe expression on his face. But don't necessarily take my advice as I am still trying to get better myself some really good character artist's will be on the forums soon and they will give you the advice you need to make it a truly ninja piece.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    somethin' is wrong with fingers lenght but i like this guy! ^____^
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    shit, that guy looks scary. I can just imagine him popping out my cupboard trying to gnaw at me.

His leg wraps look flat. You can add some geo there and enhance the normal map, they'll pop out nicely. You could also desaturate the color a bit or introduce some color variation to match his loin cloth.

I rather like his simplistic design, it's straight and to the point.
    "I'm gon fucking eat you."
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    Sauron wrote: »
    somethin' is wrong with fingers lenght but i like this guy! ^____^

Wow Sauron is on Polycount? Geez I would never have guessed!
    Anyway, thanks, and thanks for pointing out that about his fingers, can't believe I hadn't noticed! They've all the same length!
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    d00kie wrote: »
    shit, that guy looks scary. I can just imagine him popping out my cupboard trying to gnaw at me.

His leg wraps look flat. You can add some geo there and enhance the normal map, they'll pop out nicely. You could also desaturate the color a bit or introduce some color variation to match his loin cloth.

I rather like his simplistic design, it's straight and to the point.
    "I'm gon fucking eat you."

True that. The wraps did get flat, and I who spent hours modeling them, what a blunder... and the color of them is way too strong for the rest of the quite saturated color sheme of the rest of the character. Thanks again:D
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    amotaf wrote: »
    I know i may not be one to comment as I am not a character artist but in the top image the hands look anatomically odd all his fingers are the same length maybe you could add to the realism of the piece by making his fingers slightly different in length, I think they could be worked on.

Maybe give him some war wounds so he has a few stitches across his chest and maybe legs you could have a scar going vertially down across one of his eye's. So he has that appearence that he is battle hardened. I reckon this could jazz him up a bit and make him look more interesting.

But other than that I like it I think the textures look nice, I like the subtle hints of dirt on his belly and gollumesqe expression on his face. But don't necessarily take my advice as I am still trying to get better myself some really good character artist's will be on the forums soon and they will give you the advice you need to make it a truly ninja piece.

Thank you for the very elaborate comment and not some short snort, but you can't expect everyone to give long comments either.
    I agree with you on many points. Though, for example adding a scar would ruin his purpose. He is supposed to be a standard enemy working as an action figure where you just have to change his EQ in order to have new enemy type. If every foe in the game would turn up with the exact same scar then the re-use would be obvious enough to make me turn the game off (tough I sneaked in a little scar from the Cheiftain NRM map so he has atleast a little scar...)Thank you again for the comment!:D
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    sorry didn't get it :( sarcasm, heh...?

No way! In no manner at all! It was cool that you had only Sauron as nickname and not like Sauron123 or you know, just Sauron, the very most evil anatgonist of all! And having Sauron giving me constructive critisim on a 3d forum felt like a paradox. I just got this image in my head with Sauron sitting with a laptop in his lap, lit up by the light of the screen watching threads. That's all sorry for the inconveniance...:(
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just can't find where can i change my nickname in to a real name
    And actually not good enough in english... so i'm sory
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    just can't find where can i change my nickname in to a real name
    And actually not good enough in english... so i'm sory

Why? Didn't you read what I wrote, your name is cool! It's like having the name Darth Vader, you shouldn't be sorry for anything and I wasn't trying to make you feel sorry either.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not so good in CG as my nickname is evil :-D
    well... less talk - more action, still waitng for updates and cool dinamic pose shots ;)