Home Technical Talk

Consistent character lighting in UT3

Posted this on the UT3 forums but someone here might be able to help too...

-

I'm trying to light a custom characters specular map with a light volume and a sky light (so its not directional) and I'm having some problems...

Basically the light only picks up certain parts of the character (mostly as if being lit from above) and isn't consistent. I thought with using a sky light I wouldn't have to worry about directional lighting.

I tried a the custom volume mentioned in this thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...t=Light+volume but it doesn't seem to have done the trick.

I've tried multiple kinds of lights but all seem to give a similar result, and adding brightness doesn't help either. I've tried not using a volume too, just to see if I could get proper lighting working, but as you can probably guess, no success.

Does anyone have any ideas on consistently lighting a characters spec map? Because I would be extremely grateful if you could help me out!

I'm hoping it's an error on my part where I'm not ticking something I need to...

Just had another thought that it might be to do with character shadows?

Anyway, seeing as PC is so awesome and the ut3 forums arent I thought I'd throw up a pic just for you... :)
11vjqrb.jpg

Replies

• MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I actually managed too get some progress on this.

But I'm having problems getting the lights to transmit across a network. It seems like the light works over a network but the colour is disregarded by unreal. Is there a way I can set the light to keep its colour?