Home Technical Talk

Unreal III crashes when I save.

Hi everyone,

Unreal 3 crashes every time I save the package after I import my textures. It is not something new, but I have had a bigger scene loaded into UT3 and things where much much better.

This is slowing down my work flow greatly. So if anyone can offer a hand, please do so.

Thanks!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    welcome to UE3..... the slightest thing will make it crash. sometimes you have to build first or it crashes. sometimes u cant build first or it crashes. sometimes... it just crashes for the sake of crashing.

try importing one texture at a time
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I remember the very first Unreal Editor that came with Unreal1. It was the biggest nightmare ever. It was total luck if it would even run.
    Within the UT days it was a bit more compatible and slightly more stable but certain sub editors pretty often made it crash (like spline/ lofting).

UE and 3dsmax were the early applications that taught to me to save very often and in versions, they crash every now and then even today and they most likely will in future as well.

just save often and in versions, i.e scene_a_001,scene_a_002,...
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I had this exact same problem but I'm trying to remember what I did to fix it... Yeah but seriously, save often and in iterations. Damn, if I remember what it was I'll post here or PM you. I know it was plaguing my team and I during our capstone project last semester.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Make sure you're making your own package, and save all your stuff in the UT3 unpublished directory, you don't want broken links or anything like that.

You can try deleting your UT3 folder in your my documents after backing up everything you need from it. I'd recommend copying it first just in case for backup.

Also go to the UT3 forums and do a search for save + crash + editor, you're sure to find something. I had a similar issue and after snooping around there a bit i found a solution, had to do with the registry i think.