Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Dreadnought W.I.P

URL%5DOk I said I wanted to create a War hammer style piece, I chose the dreadnought 4k so I found alot of reference and I have begun modelling the piece.

I have created a good proportion of it and I feel I need some feedback so I can stay on the straight and narrow making sure I take this piece in the right direction.

I am creating the high polygon and low polygon mesh as I create each piece of the model so I don't have to go back and remodel the in game mesh.

Tell me what you think please as I would really want to do this thing justice.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8816/dreadnoughteluviesfront.jpg ----Reference

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4816/warhammermech2.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1209/warhammermech.jpg
3D Models

I am still modelling the piece and I am planning on having three variations in terms of the arms, maybe the assualt cannon and I will add in the flame thrower later.
%5Ddreadnoughteluviesfront.jpg
URL%5D

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Well so far it's looking pretty sweet. You can put images up in the forum by adding [img][/img] on the start and end of your URL.

Like this:

blablabla

Keep going :)
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    a solid start. The proportions in the torso area are off. The segements are to wide in relation to each other and it's making it look overly top heavy by comparison.(to the figurine) Other than that, seems like you're on the right track.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I will try and battle the top half more so that it falls into proportion.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have completed the brunt of the modelling I have tried to scale the upper torso down a bit and I have created the assualt cannon variation of the arm this time. I am trying to use some floating geometry to replicate detail in the normals.

Though I have one question should I go to the trouble of adding in low poly geometry for the bolts and baking the detail down from the hi res bolts. Or should I save the polygons and just bake the hi res bolts down onto the main mesh??.

I don't have a polycount as per say I just want to get the thing looking as good and dynamic as I possibly can. Anyway I really hope I can get critiques good and bad so I can make this right.

kind regards,
    warhammer2.jpg
    warhammerq.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking great so far! My only crit for you so far is to maybe chamfer your hard edges on the armor plates a little. The sharp edges on his silhouette actually make him look low-poly, when he clearly isn't. :)

Also his chaingun has some very large bore holes, compared to the reference images.

As far as battle-damage and aging, are you planning to take him into z-brush or just do it all in texture?
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments

I don't have Zbrush yet so I will probably have to create the detail and damage pass via the texture work, that should be alright though as I could do with the practice of creating textures etc etc.

You are right I will bevel those edges right away so I can create that more higher res look to the model. At the moment I am refining the in game model trying to get the polycount down and working out where pieces may go on the UV space.

At the moment I am slightly concerned as I am going to try and get this thing into the Unreal Editor and i am hoping that the normal bake will look nice when I get it in there as for some odd reason things look different in the 3d app than they do in the engine itself.

I might try and fiddle around with the Marmoset toolbag but I would need to d/l that as well and then try and work out how to use it.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also on a side note should I add bevels onto the In game mesh so that the normals will catch better??? I am still learning so i am not 100% sure.