Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wall Computer Prop

Hello everyone!

Been lurking around the forums here quite a bit trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible, but I finally decided to show my latest prop in hopes of receiving some C&C.

This was my first prop I have made using the Hi-Poly to Lo-Poly baking technique. I fooled around with xNormal but the normals had weird shading issues so I just used Maya to create an Ambient Occlusion map as well as the Normal map.

Please feel free to comment and critique! I want to learn as much as possible so I can get into the Video Game Industry as an Environmental/Asset Artist.

Wall Computer:
wallcomputer.jpg

Low Poly Wireframe:
Wireframe

Maps: (2k so you can better see the details)
Diffuse Map
Specular Map
Normal Map

Inspiration: Natural Selection 2 - Unknown Worlds

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hi tyl3r and welcome to Polycount :)
    I like your model and quite like the texture too, I think you did a great job on the inner panels and display.

Crits;
    The outer textures look like concrete, not metal. You could fix this by altering the specular map but it would be wise to also pay attention to the diffuse first. The easiest thing to do would be to have a lowish detail painted metal map and let the ambient occlusion drive it. Where you see dark into light paint some rust/chipping then bring this effect into your specular map.
    Tip;
    The normal map looks clean but too clean, take your layered diffuse and flatten it into one layer then run the nvidia filter on it, do some tweaking of levels and sharpening and add this as an overlay to your normal map, this will help drive the specular big time and add extra depth to the model.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin pretty good nice work soldier.

I agree with GCMP about the diffuse and spec, they need some work. I think you need to take some of the dirt and grime out of your diffuse and put it in your spec. I think you're diffuse is really way too dirty and dinged up. Some damage and dirt in a few places can really add detail, too much and it just starts to read as noise. Often you need large patches of clean untouched metal to contrast the damage.

I also think you could round out the sharp edges with some simple bevels giving it more of a stamped or bent metal look.

Localize the damage, bevel a few edges, and really get the spec working and you'll be in great shape.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    vig pretty much hit it on the nail, work with the spec, its pretty flat now. it also looks like you just messed with the contrast/levels of your diffuse and called it a spec. try to add some clean spots so the grime isn't just so uniform around the whole thing.

also I'd say not to add grit to the normal map since it would probably make it look like concrete. Just work with the spec and your normal map should be fine.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerWallBoxPO.jpg
    I did a quick paint over, hope you don't mind. I didn't have as much time as I liked but hopefully it shows you what we mean.
    I think oobersli (and GCMP) brought up a good points about it looking like concrete. I think the dirt in your diffuse is also making the surface look porous. Concrete has bunch of little air bubbles that get trapped next to the forms. The same thing happens with metal only on a much smaller level. It also gets stamped, polished and painted.

You could really work the spec into the edges and really help the lighting out and sell the details in the normal map.

You could also paint in some large tonal gradients into your diffuse and help mimic dirt and grim without going into sub-pixel detail.
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies so far! They have all been helpful. Special thanks to you Vig for the paintover. I think I know what I need to do to make it look more like metal now.

- I'll take out a lot of the grime and vast color differences of the metal in the Diffuse.
    - Improve the spec by highlighting edges and maybe flattening out the grime in areas.

I'l post up the new version early next week. Any other things I should try and improve or fix?
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I was able to do a quick fix incorporating some suggested ideas (mainly make the metal look more like metal and less like concrete, and tried to fix up the specular map by painting in some darker areas to randomize it a bit more).

I think it looks more like metal now than it did previously, what do you all think? I'm still open for more feedback as I definitely want this piece as a portfolio prop!

New shot:
    wallcomputernew.jpg

New Maps:
    New Diffuse Map
    New Spec Map
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    It still looks like you used difference clouds to get some of that light and dark values in your diffuse texture. Very very few things look good if you have a cloudy noisy look to your texture. Most things in nature, and even in the man made world, wear and tear in a specific way.

Right now it looks like something like a tree is casting a shadow on it from off screen. The light and dark pattern is just too big and it covers the entire object.

Damage is usually localized to specific area unless a uniform force is acting on the entire object equally.

Also, Considering this thing is on the wall gravity will pull almost any grime downward. So if you are trying to make it look dirty your grime needs to sort of run from top to bottom.

Not everything will run like that so that's not a be all end all rule, but the general point I am trying to convey is that you need to understand what has caused the damage or grime to build up in order to realistically apply it to a surface.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    its looking better! but still has that overall grime throughout it. i'd try to get closer to the flat metal look vig had in the paint over. also, lighten up the spec on your wires. its completely dark for them and being rubber/plastic I'd expect to see some spec on those.

oh and I just saw it, but you might reconsider the wall outlet on that. Its the type you see in a house, so it looks sorta funky and out of place. maybe switch it out with the industrial type you see thats used for washer/dryers?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's improving, looking better but I think the spec needs to be lightened and there needs to be larger patches of white untouched metal. You can also use PhotoShop to "Find edges" which can really help you start a good spec. xNormal or CrazyBump to do a similar functions also. I personally like crazybump but really the results you're after are the same.
    I'll do a paint over of your spec when I get a chance tomorrow as well as run a section of your diffuse through crazybump to show you what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, you're doing a good job I just think with a few nudges in slightly different direction you can really make that metal sing.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Edit: just saw the links to your maps. Guess I don't have to tell you to link 'em :P

But the lighting can be improved I think. Make sure your main light isn't shining directly at the prop like lights are shooting out of your eyes, or you wont see much, or any of the normal map/ spec map. Speaking of lighting you'll probably want a skylight, maybe at .2 just so there isn't any area of pure black, you can cut your other lights by .2 to compensate.

If you're going for metal you'll want to darken your diffuse a bit, let the spec map shine through.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WallComputerSpecPO02.jpg
    Spec changes:
    - I started off with crazybump, saved the spec to photoshop and touched up some things (I should have tweaked it tighter in crazybump).
    - The label plates and the buttons are a solid spec consistency not based on the diffuse color but the reflectiveness of the material.
    - Reversed the lettering because the paint for the letters is probably not that shinny. Looks like military stenciling and they normally use matte, no gloss colors.
    - Enhanced a few edges so they shine a little more than the other parts (a lot more of this could be done, but this is an illustration).
    - Increased the over all brightness (maybe too much, should be a bit more grey so the pronounced edges pop a bit more but meh, you get what I have time for get... sorry about that).
    - Some more noise could probably be taken out of the diffuse and maybe out of the spec but I think its a matter of personal taste. I'm a bit of a big blocks of color guy with hints of damage and grime in places. There's probably a happy medium somewhere...

Also I didn't touch the stuff in the lower right, that's what it looked like coming out of crazybump, it would need the same attention to the text and warning stripe. Their spec wouldn't change based on the color of the object underneath.

I also think crazyfingers brought up a good point about the lighting, moving it more to a 3 point lighting system would probably help everything along.
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I've finally got around to redoing the textures, mainly to try and get it to look like metal and not dirty concrete. I am much happier with the result I have now, but am still open and willing to do minor changes to improve the prop. After looking at it now, I think I might need to brighten up the edge wear to make it show a bit more.

Here's the new realtime screenshot taken from Maya:
    wallcomputernew.jpg

1024x1024 Texture Maps

-Vig - I tried doing the spec map like how you posted but it gave worse results in Maya for me. It might be a lighting issue on my part, but it just wasn't working. I looked at other people's spec maps for metal and not many were really bright white. Am I doing something wrong? I think it now looks way closer to the first paintover you did.

I'm still not really understanding the 3-point lighting setup in maya, so if anyone cares to help a bit, PM me! I understand the 3 lights, but the intensities and what not get me confused!
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    It's definitely looking better now. It's great to see you implementing the feedback.

If you want to use a large normal map then it better have enough information in it to justify the expense. Most of your normal map detail is made of bevels that are only a few pixels wide. Some of that could probably be polygons in the model instead. Other details could be in the spec and diffuse only and still look fine. Modern GPUs can chew through polygons but there is still a limited amount of memory available for environments. If this was in my level, I would tell the prop artist to ditch that normal map entirely so I could have that memory back! :)

To show off your high-to-low projection skills I would try something less boxy for the high poly model.
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help dlx! I understand what you are saying, and will definitely take that advice into future work. Now that I understand the workflow though I think I can do even better.

Here's a shot in Marmoset that may show it off a little bit better.
    wc1w.jpg
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a much better improvement. Although the spec is still pretty cloudy like your previous grungy texture. I would tone that down some. Apart from this it looks very nice, some minor adjustments could be made. Such as those rectangle extrudes next to the abc column, could be toned lighter for a more silver look.

Also, have you generated a highlight map, using the xnormal photoshop plugins? I'm sure that would really boost it a lot, put it in your diffuse on very low opacity, and in your spec boost it considerably.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Big improvement. Good job!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyl3r wrote: »
    -Vig - I tried doing the spec map like how you posted but it gave worse results in Maya for me. It might be a lighting issue on my part, but it just wasn't working. I looked at other people's spec maps for metal and not many were really bright white. Am I doing something wrong? I think it now looks way closer to the first paintover you did.
    Yea I am not sure what I was thinking making it full bright... But you are more on track now than before so nice work =)
    tyl3r wrote: »
    I'm still not really understanding the 3-point lighting setup in maya, so if anyone cares to help a bit, PM me! I understand the 3 lights, but the intensities and what not get me confused!
    Light 1: Fill light
    Just a light to boost the overall light level. This simulates light bouncing and makes sure that shadows are not 100% pure black. This can actually be a series of lights set to a pretty low intensity that surround the object. If you are going to use just one light for the fill, then it should be facing the front of the object at an opposing angle to your key. This will not be as intense as your key.

Light 2: key light
    This is your main light and does most of the shadow casting. This is normally only one light and at full intensity. You never really want to put this directly behind the camera, mostly because the shadows will be doing next to nothing. I like to stick this light up, forward and to the right of the camera.

Light 3: Rim light
    This is an over the shoulder light aimed at putting an outline of light around the edge of your object this can be the exact opposite position of your key light. This normally needs to be cranked up quite a bit. sometimes 2x your key, the position of this is pretty tricky, it really depends on the object.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Looks awesome!

The only part i don't care for is the emergency release handle, everything else is pretty solid.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    I might be way late, but I think you are similar to me in that I am also pretty heavy handed in what I am currently doing.

I am really glad I found this post. I think I can finally fix my metal texturing problems.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1529844#post1529844

Thank you.