Home General Discussion

Aion - who's going to be playing?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
I preordered this at the weekend off steam, waiting for the Open beta..

Who else is giving this a go ?

Replies

• Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, maybe I didn't see enough but I just kept thinking WOW while I was looking at it.

Still the art looks cool :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude are you blind? how can you think WoW when looking at Aion...
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, now after going and looking at the website I see the difference in art, beforehand I only glanced at it in a magazine and saw similarities in the color palette of the spell sigil effects and the environments.

Though I don't play to many mmo's either, unless their free like guild wars or PSO. (I'm a cheap bastard I know :) )

But yes, after investigating on their site I do say I like the wing idea for travel.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I played the asian version, loved it, but in the end it's exactly the same mmo formula is before.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like another Korean meat grinder?? Hrmmm. I think I'll pass. Too bad though. I liked most of what I saw in the screenshots. None of that over-used western European medieval fantasy garbage all over the place.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    all mmos are grinders... you have to kill a mob dozens of times, and all is the same.

I have readed that in aion is not so hard to level up. Very soon is the open beta, and i surely will give it a try ^^, i like to play all these games.

I'm also waiting to play allods online (wow clone?) and aika. gPotato will offer them for free.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to give it try. There was a point this weekend, while triple-boxing WoW and watching Blizzcon over Pay Per View, where I realized I really need to find another game to play. :)

- BoBo
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Jeez Bobo, yes you do!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh the days of running more than one client.. I used to dual box L2 fun times
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I grabbed the pre-order. We'll see how long it keeps me interested...
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    With all the games I'm looking forward to (Batman, Alpha Protocol, Demon's Souls, Brutal Legend, Dragon Age: Origins) coming out in the next few months my MMO budget only really has room for Champions Online :P
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Philistine.. :-P
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    i jumped on the beta for a couple days and hit up around lvl 14. i had a really great time.

proper quest helper, no bloated skills, flashy moves and good feedback for melee connections.

plus its a lot of pvp focused near endgame which is all i was doing in wow anyways cause gear-progression is super lame.

either way i'll be trying it out for sure. pretty sure we got a pile of dudes going azmodians on the seil server (spelling is atrocious sorry).
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I'll probably play for a few months at least... I'm interested in the flying not just for travel, but what kind of strategic gameplay it can incorporate with it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    since flying in many zones cannot be done, but rather gliding, it makes stuff interesting, since the right techniques can keep you afloat for a longer time..

and air combat :)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The art is realllllly sweet, but the gameplay looks the same as every other MMORPG, I might check it out later when I feel like lookin at some purdy mob killin.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been checking the website everyday waiting for an OB date and its highly annoying.. LEMMIE IINN !!!
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    I played the closed betas up to level 20 and had a blast being a CC'ing, glass cannoning Sorcerer.

I preordered the limited edition and everything off Steam out of excitement.
    Then after actually seeing the visuals of the "limited edition" wings, I was verily disappointed. They look like the other level 30 wings! (not unless i was looking at incorrect screenshots)
    The other stuff in the limited edition isn't really worth it either what with it being one time or limited use and all. So that put a big damper on my views of Aion. Granted it was my fault, but still I'm scathed.

I did enjoy the enemy kiting quests though! That was new to me.
    The ones were u have to kite an enemy NPC all the way back to a fellow NPC without you or the kitee dying and u not losing aggro.
    People will always get up in your shit while you're trying to do it too.
    "OOOHHH U NEEDZ HALP??!!"
    "HAY GAIZ, DIS NUB NEEDZ HALP! LAWLAMIRITE!"
    *PEW PEW*
    quest failed. >.>

It's an insanely gorgeous game, but its honestly nothing new to the MMO formula gameplay wise (kill X of Y, go over yonder and grab me dat, make me 50 of these, etc.) The flying is sweet and I do believe there are some skills that'll snare/root enemies in the air so their timer runs out and they plummet to the Earth. Which is always a plus.:thumbup:

I got the first month and week free, so I'll play it again and if I like it, I'll sub. I'm so torn lately of which MMO to sub to. I only sub to one pay MMO and play the hell outta Guild Wars.

As of late I went waaaaay back to playing Star Wars Galaxies to soothe my MMO needs. Maybe I'll resub to that. It seems like its the only pay MMO that makes me happy."*sigh/shudder*
  • rolfness
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    ...will include numerous Western enhancements, including improvements to Aion's innovative character customization with a host of Western styles.
    I can't help but imagine the old asian EQ2 revamp ...only, in reverse ;)
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    I'm going to give it try. There was a point this weekend, while triple-boxing WoW and watching Blizzcon over Pay Per View, where I realized I really need to find another game to play. :)

- BoBo

Wow, BoBo...just wow....really? Three plus the pay-per-view? :D hehe
  • rolfness
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Where can I get a key or account etc? Can't seem to find anything on that.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eh you have to pre order the game and they let you into the open beta you also get to start the game early before launch
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    In some sites are giving open beta keys for those who want to try the game. I could get one, so i will be playing the open beta ^^ without paying for the game, right now i'm downloading the client, more than 9 gb.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Could you direct me to those sites? I already downloaded 9gb's. Dont want it to be for nothing haha.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Thought about trying the open beta but a 9gb download? Thanks but no.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    all mmos are grinders... you have to kill a mob dozens of times, and all is the same.

I have to disagree. I played a lot of those free "Korean meat grinder" MMO's that were indeed what you say. But WoW has never made me feel that way.

I'm gonna stick with WoW and see if Aion really catches on.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    "If you are hours and hours killing rats in a field of potatoes", then, you are grinding. Any game with quests asking you to kill a number of mobs, is a grinder.

I have played wow, and at least for me, is another grinder more, but not so "hard grinder" as some korean mmorpg games. Wow has gold farming and farming dungeons... and i think farming is worse than grinding. You have to repeat dungeons crazily, and for what? to obtain items :P. Some friends of mine don't know there are more games except wow, they are TRAPPED. More than 5 years playing the same game is not healthy imho. I remenber my days playing diablo 2, and what the hell... what a waste of time!

I recently played c9 and aika, and well, new games, new experiences :P. I don't like to be stuck in a game too many years of my life, that's insane.

The site where i get the key is spanish, and now all keys were given :(, they got only 1000. 9 gb of download is an afternoon here, a few hours dowloading at 900kb (a connection of 10mb). The open beta will start at 18:00, i'm impatient to see how good is aion. TV news talked about aion here.. incredible.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    servers are UP !!!!!!

no wait they are down down.. damnit

http://kindred.aion.tv/status/

lol now the server status page isnt working.. lol

http://twitter.com/aion_ayase
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    any game, that allows me to do this
    http://demneoxsein.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/img_8087.jpg
    is not going to be played by me
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well why would you make a retarded looking character and then complain about it ?
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing the open beta and can't say there is anything that grabs me. same old same old for the most part. it ain't bad, but it ain't anything special either.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think its awesome only managed a lvl 15 spiritmaster so far but I can fly !
    Its so pretty too I sometimes just walk around and lust look at stuff.
    the quests are so much better and the help they give you to complete them is almost criminal.
    my class can grind without much downtime either ( I love grinding).

Havent talked to anyone yet nor played in a group but Im more of a solo player and my class seems to suit it.

I also got a lvl 1 ranger .. couldnt resist the pew pew class
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I managed a lvl 13 sorcerer, it's a pretty game with pretty girls haha, but from lvl 1 to 20 is more of the same :(. Solo playing for me was pretty boring. People didn't want to make parties btw... they were like in a "race to be the best of nothing".

I felt i was playing a Lineage II clone but better... with same skills or very similar (you have stones as soulshots...), better graphics, and with the good things from other mmos like RF Online.

To sum up, another mmo more, very generic but with its improvements.

Playing with friends is the best for this game, you lvl up faster, quests are done very fast. If you like the universe and can play with friends, is your game :P

we should put some screenshots haha
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing I think they messed up on is that they used generic classes as a prelude to the end game classes.

1. the generic starter classes do not mimic the play style of both of its resultant end game choices. the scout being the prime example of this; since they cannot use bows for you to experience rangers, its play style is assassin 100%.

2. Another class i leveled to class choice was mage->sorcerer. I wanted to also try a spiritmaster but cannot be arsed to level a mage again.

pretty confident this may lose them some people who may of stayed with the game. I know the 1-10 is minimal effort but its a pain for early adopters.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I played all the closed betas and its a bit of a chore to get to level 20 but trust me, its well worth it.
    Once you get to level 20, the channels disappear and the world becomes open to enemy raid groups out to gank you and do quests in your area.
    I experienced some of the best camaraderie when the elyos would invade asmodian lands and we would all band together to stop their advance.

I quite enjoy this game, so I shall continue to play it :D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I have been playing with azmodians this time (another server), and what the heck, it's a total fun haha. I reached lvl 10 with a scout, love the daggers ^^

I'm liking the game more and more hehe.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://eu.aiononline.com/uk/news/list-of-aion-servers-at-launch.html

Interesting info about the servers. Im on Spatalos, will probably stick with that.

Ive been taking snapshots must get them posted sometime. But the game is very awesome, just got my earth summon. I might give the spiritmaster a rest and try something else before the end of OB
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Open Beta, pre-purchased on Steam ^^
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Fluent in Krall Parishilton

Lies. Its an impostor! =O

I didnt want to play Open beta, but I just kept telling myself, I will just explore this area to see what it looks like.... and then 5 hours later I wonder what happened. it was like having unwanted consensual sex, enjoying it then telling myself not to do it again.

Aion must not distract me! I have too many characters to build! :<
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Too much distraction! 6 days and it will be official!

here are a few screen shots:
    Aion_01.jpg
    Aion_04.jpg
    Aion_05.jpg
    Aion_06.jpg
    Aion_09.jpg
    Aion_12.jpg
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice pics Blazier, what setup you running it on and how did you turn off the UI ?

OB was a blast, logged off last night a bit sad that I cant play it for a few days and have to start all over again, but definitely starting out with a spiritmaster again.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    rolfness, you can turn off the ui pressing f12

I have all settings to max, and bloom type 2. I'm playing with a q9550 + gtx285
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick heads up for all that preordered, preselection is in about 35 mins

http://kindred.aion.tv/status/

you can spend the next two days reserving names and tweaking the crap out of your avvie
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Well, for the second time, from two different companies, my Aion CE pre-order was mysteriously canceled.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Well, for the second time, from two different companies, my Aion CE pre-order was mysteriously canceled.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I got mine from steam, what happened to the orders?
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    well, some good news is they got rid of GameGuard for release.

I hated having to turn off Avast to run Aion. One of the reasons I stopped playing.
    I have the first month and week free to play, so maybe I'll dabble.
    Lord of the Rings Online has my attention right now though. :poly128: