Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Exitosus - sci fi ship concept WIP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
I finished working on this for tonight. I'm just looking for feedback on what people feel should be adjusted. I'm trying to go for a "brushed metal" look.

I understand there is a bit of a perspective issue with the back wing, so that's the only thing I'm not interested in hearing (I've tried adjusting it a thousand times).

Anything else goes! I also put up a thread in General asking about image quality. Please tell me if this image appears to be very noticeably poor in quality so I know to save my images at higher settings.

exito02-1.jpg

Replies

• beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty fuckin cool man, I love the front area. Is it supposed to behave like a chopper? If so some more rotary blades or forms of propulsion would sell it a lot better. Personally i think some more mass in the mid section would make it more intimidating and fill up some empty space, seems kinda flimsy imo. Also, the wings stray from the all around style of the rest of the ship, everything has nice hard edges and the wings seem very thin. I think thats what u were goin for but i just thought i would point it out.

As for the material I think u did a pretty nice job, but I cant paint worth shit so dont let me be the judge :D

Nice work tho dude, looks like it would be fun to model. Keep it up!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I guess I should explain the concept a bit to help understand its direction. The concept is of a ship that has high maneuverability and speed but acts as a siege unit.

Typically siege units in games are very slow and have high defense but I wanted to create a unit that would be quick and agile with siege capabilities.

beartraps, you are correct in the flimsy design. In exchange for the ability to be agile as a siege unit, its sacrifice would be defense. The bars you see everywhere are what I designed to be shock absorbers from the massive blast from the cannons... so in a sense the ship would compress when it fires to eliminate a self-damaging attack.

As for a method of travel, the propellers were designed for extra stability from the heavy load of the cannons rather than its primary source of propulsion.

As for additional critiques, can anyone try to spot lighting/shadowing issues they may see?
  • torontoanimator
    dude, if you can pull this off, that'd just be absolutely awe-inspiring. Its such a cool and unique design its like a hand glider mixed with a star wars fighter