Home General Discussion

dollar ain't worth shit

Replies

• Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    But America has the only freedom factories in the world! If those get shut down, the global community will face a harrowing freedom shortage.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i wonder if the great depression will become a bollywood movie.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This kind of thread should not be permitted imho, this issue only creates quarrels between us, and that's not something good, isn't it?

Make art... do 3d, play, but don't fight with others if you are bored U.U'

By the way,
    if USA goes bankrupt, its going to have ripple effects through the whole world,
    and you'll end up with a global recession.
    It's True, and it can't be helped.

And as example, our economy is quite bad now, and our unemployment rate is around 20%. If USA sneezes, we catch an illness here...

This is not something to debate in a forum like this, imho.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the last 30 or so years Americas #1 export was its wealth, now its the #1 import... too bad its only coming back for a visit.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Wow....just wow! ....seriously dejawolf, it sounds like you have a problem with US the way you are posting!
    Yeah the US is in a crapload of debt, but really if our economy crashes completely allot of other countries will be effected as well...better hope it does not happen.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    There are three options,

Option #1,
    Everything will stay as it is, and the US with its social hated of intelligence will cause complete stagnation moving all the money out of the country until its dropped into 3rd world status.

Option #2,
    WW3

Option #3,
    The US monetary system completely crashes to the point that it has no value and takes with it every other monetary system. This leads to a new system of money that has no borders, moving us closer to a type 1 civ.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Interestingly I found these fascinating financial figures about IKEA

http://193.108.42.168/index.php?ID=10

lookin' up for norway!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Blaizer wrote: »
    This is not something to debate in a forum like this, imho.

As long as it doesn't explode into flamewar, it's always interesting to hear people's opinions.

I work in the financial sector and have seen the walls of the house of cards come tumbling down from the inside.

Funny how people can dismiss the estimated quadrillion derivative bubble floating around still and genuinely believe the real crisis was about the mortgage backed securities.

sprunghunt wrote: »
    Interestingly I found these fascinating financial figures about IKEA

http://193.108.42.168/index.php?ID=10

lookin' up for norway!

Or Sweden. :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    uhhhh what?

GO KOREA!!!!

RESET BUTTON FTW!!!

Lets set everything back to Zero and see who's on top then. Def. not gonna be me lol
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is the part where we all hug and cry...
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    and eat cake, everyone likes cake.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote:
    Here I write satiric comedy gold and half of polycount is clueless.
    If it makes you feel any better, I laughed. ArYeS is probably just an American in disguise, because we all know us Europeans are very clever and intelligent, each and every one of us. It's just that those damn Americans keep trying to screw us over with their McDonald's, their crime, their Iraqs and now their economic crises. America is like a 3-meter tall nuclear armed baby on steroids that Europe has to babysit.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I must say I only got it after you said Einstein was an american hero. I feel silly now.
    (and also: there are actually people who say stupid stuff like that for real so that's why getting that you're joking is harder see [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE"]Americans are NOT stupid[/ame])
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are all actors right? Please, please tell me that is one big joke, just for the lulz.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you set out to find idiots, regardless of the country, you'll find them.

A camera in the face drops peoples IQ by 20 points. "OMG I'm on tv! I'm totally wearing the wrong outfit... I didn't brush my teeth after I ate that sticky bun and spinach, that camera guy keeps making eyes at me"

Three things you didn't hear:
    - Now when I say "who was the 1st president of the United States read this: "I honestly do think monkeys live on the moon, they're Russian monkeys but they're there".
    - "Now place the pin in Australia, look I know it says Iran and that's not where it is but can you just do it?"
    - Cut! This guy got the answer right... damn it. Find me another one.

They also show them a euro centered map and mix up the names of the countries, yea that's not going to throw anyone off...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my point wasn't to say that americans are stupid vig ;). It's quite obvious you can find stupid people everywhere you look (especially with a camera). But in reality you (or at least I) don't really encounter people like that :).
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Well i'm not American really :P I'm slovenian, really tiny country :) Sorry if I offended you in any way, its just that your points are silly.

I agree with Vig, if you look for idiots, you will find them anywhere.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Oh a video from a satirical News company...superb source! Of course, they're gonna use the dumbest answers they can find, regardless of how sarcastic a few of them may be.

Anyway, I know the US economy is shitty and what not, but is this thread for real?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You actually are low-balling our debt by a lot.
    our debt, as a country, is 56,000,000,000,000 (56 trillion)
    But that is money we owe to both other countries and ourselves through medicare, medicaid, welfare, and all those "New Deal" things we really need to dump.

Its worth less than monopoly money

Also, we came off of the SILVER standard 30 years or so ago (with Nixon)
    But we have been off of the Gold Standard (Officially) since FDR.
    FDR screwed us all. He gave us the New Deal, and took away our Gold Standard.... ergh...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    oh my point wasn't to say that americans are stupid vig ;). It's quite obvious you can find stupid people everywhere you look (especially with a camera). But in reality you (or at least I) don't really encounter people like that :).
    Ha yea, I don't encounter people like that. You did a great social experiment yourself but I bet we could edit your trip any way we needed to prove whatever point we needed and you didn't even have a hidden agenda, heh.

As for who's to blame for the national debt I'm not so sure we need to continue the 8 year tradition of writing the pentagon a blank check. It's funny before we started two wars we almost had the national debt paid down...

Might want to look closer at where the money is going now rather than listen to a tar and feather rewrite of history, on someone who's not around to defend his actions.
    http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs4/i/2004/217/a/2/Death_and_Taxes_____.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, I guess what I meant to say was -

I understand the dire circumstances that the US economy is in, however feel no need to list said circumstances as a good deal of them have already been stated, but is this thread topic legitimately about the concern for the US economy?

And this isn't sarcasm, this is essentially what I was saying.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    2 dollars for a snickers bar? this is madness
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, I laughed. ArYeS is probably just an American in disguise, because we all know us Europeans are very clever and intelligent, each and every one of us. It's just that those damn Americans keep trying to screw us over with their McDonald's, their crime, their Iraqs and now their economic crises. America is like a 3-meter tall nuclear armed baby on steroids that Europe has to babysit.

yeah but we use deoderant
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's why you have a low odor?

this was too easy to not make.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount commune. we can grow potatoes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Joopson wrote: »
    But we have been off of the Gold Standard (Officially) since FDR.
    FDR screwed us all. He gave us the New Deal, and took away our Gold Standard.... ergh...
    Want to know how many countries get by without a gold standard?

All of them.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Polycount commune. we can grow potatoes.

That's commie irishmen talk
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Excuse my ignorance, I am but a stupid Swede. But what is this gold and silver standard you are talking about?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If hes drunk, he's onto something. If not then don't listen to him.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, I am but a stupid Swede. But what is this gold and silver standard you are talking about?

emergency storage to keep the economy rolling during a crisis. gold and silver will retain its value regardless of how the currency swings. it also keeps your money from becoming completely worthless.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I like monkeys.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The world economy could never return to the gold standard as it was, due simply to the lack of gold.
    There just isnt enough gold to sustain the world economy at current prices and to revert back to the system, gold would have to massively increase in price.
    Even by raising the price of gold to $3000 per ounce, it would barely cover the amount of currency in the USA alone (in circulation or deposited in banks etc.)

Its also worth noting that it costs around 2.5% GDP to actually maintain a full gold standard, which today would be around $357 Billion for the USA.

Interesting stuff :)