Home Technical Talk

Mudbox problem

I've recently encountered a problem with Mudbox 2009. Everytime i export a obj. from 3ds max in mudbox, the program reads like the model is done loading yet it is no where to be found on the screen. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some possibilities:

1. Double check your export settings in Max to make sure the geometry is being exported properly. If you are on an older version of Max like 9 or earlier get the guruware obj I/O plugin here http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html and use it instead of Max's default obj exporter.

2. The camera in Mudbox is not focused on the object, press "A" to focus on the selection in the viewport. (note: "A" might not be the default for this, as I may have changed my hotkeys, double check in your hotkey preferences.)

3. The scale of your object is way off of Mudbox's "standard" size. To check this make a new scene in Mudbox create a new mesh, choose the cube, export that to Max and compare it's scale with the object you are trying to import into Mudbox. If it's way off then scale your object to be around the same size as the Mudbox cube in Max, don't forget to reset xforms.

4. The face normals are flipped so you aren't seeing anything. Check this in Max and if it's the case flip the normals and try again.

5. Mudbox's camera settings like Near and Far Plane are messed up. If you select your Perspective camera in the Object List those settings should be Near Plane = 1 and Far Plane = 10000 by default.

Hope that helps.
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3. The scale of your object is way off of Mudbox's "standard" size. To check this make a new scene in Mudbox create a new mesh, choose the cube, export that to Max and compare it's scale with the object you are trying to import into Mudbox. If it's way off then scale your object to be around the same size as the Mudbox cube in Max, don't forget to reset xforms.

BINGO!!

Thanks man that really helped!!:)