Home Technical Talk

How do you set freelance prices for work?

Jensen
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jensen polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

I've recently gotten a few offers of freelance, but I've never really done that kind of thing before.

Both people asked me to name a price, but I have no idea what is fair and what is not. I don't want to screw them over, but I also don't want to screw myself over.

So how do you guys set prices?

For a few examples:

1. Sculpting a copy of the david statue for someone (just the sculpt)?
2. Making a game character for current gen game model+textures?

This will really help me out so thanks a ton in advance guys! :)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Write a bunch of numbers down on some scraps of paper, scramble them up in a hat, eat them and whatever comes out first is what you charge.

Or...

Figure out a nice hourly rate that works for you. Figure out how many hours it will take, and charge that.

I've never freelanced 3D work but I can't imagine its much different.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Check out this thread - it has tons of great answers to this question and probably some pretty good insight.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64233&highlight=freelance+price
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    Vig wrote: »
    Write a bunch of numbers down on some scraps of paper, scramble them up in a hat, eat them and whatever comes out first is what you charge.

I'm liking that option... might end up being the most accurate.
  • Frankie V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie V polycounter lvl 18
    First rule of freelancing is someone always gets screwed.

No such thing as the perfect agreement. Hell you can’t even get a husband and wife team to agree as to what color to paint the kitchen

Second rule know what you are worth and not what it is that you do is worth.

If you have a good idea of how long it’s going to take to do the job figure out how much you would be willing to take if you were working for an hourly wage and double it.

Third rule fair market value determines the price.

If you base your fee on what it costs you to do the business with a little added profit your going to either price yourself out of the market or far below it. Phone up some company and ask them for a quote for the same job and use that as your base.

Forth rule copyright ownership has a price.

If they contract you to design and produce custom content from scratch and what to own the copyrights then sell it to them above and beyond the contracted work. You make some kind of Bennie baby thing you can land up losing out on the merchandising rights.

It will make you sick if you do something for $5,000 and find out that they made millions. If they merchandise your effort get a percentage.

Fifth rule no matter how hard you try your going to mess up on the fee the first time.

The art of knowing how to quote a job as a free lancer is based on previous experiences and although the project may seem simple enough you can not account on how many times you will have to do redoes until you have to fulfill the demands of a play client.

Six Rule ALWAYS get it in writing.

This is the case for anything that involves a supplied service. The one thing that you can guarantee is when you are about to complete the project you will hear these words “Oh while your at it”. Clients have no perception of level of difficulty or time required to complete a task and because a contract was signed you will have the right to insist that yes you can do it but there is going to be a further charge.

This all to say charge whatever for you first time, your going to be screwed, and once you have that experience under your belt you won’t be the second time around.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Do you have to claim that on your taxes or what?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup not only that but you have to do your taxes quarterly, pay your own contributions to social security, etc... US. taxes as a self employed person are much more complicated then as an employee.

The upside is that you can write off hardware/software purchases and a bunch of other things as business expenses which helps.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Yup not only that but you have to do your taxes quarterly, pay your own contributions to social security, etc... US. taxes as a self employed person are much more complicated then as an employee.

The upside is that you can write off hardware/software purchases and a bunch of other things as business expenses which helps.
    You only have to pay quarterly if you are 100% freelance. If he has a day job, file your taxes at the normal time. Also the items you can write off vary state by state and STOP GOING TO H&R BLOCK!!! Get a real tax preparer, and reap the "rewards". Get the TaxID of the people you are doing the work for now so when you do get around to doing taxes you don't have to wait up for them.

It's not complicated if you keep track of everything.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    /Sigh

What a downer. Tax is so counter-productive.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    this was a good thread:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64233

Typically you either charge hourly with an estimate for how long it will take, or you flat rate it by doing desired hourly * time (average amount of time + expected rework + buffer)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    1250363088104.jpg

The best advice is to know what your time is worth, and to have a DAMN GOOD idea of how much of your time will be required to do the job, then use math.

"Fifth rule no matter how hard you try your going to mess up on the fee the first time." Sad, but true. Thats life, and I've gone through it. Try not to worry about it to much and treat this an opportunity to learn and grow.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jensen polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys thanks for all this great info! It really helped me out a lot.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    Take 50$ / h . It's a good number and worth an artists work. :)

I do it for free and let the client decide what to pay. 'kidding'
    Some German restaurants do it this way. 'no kidding'
    And the people pay more for the food as if it's worth.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Another thing to take into account, how much can the client afford.

If they are on a tight budget but you really want to do the job cause it sounds like a good job, set the price lower. If its for a larger client, they can afford to pay more, so charge more for them. if the job sounds like a bitch to work on, again charge more.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also know your states income tax rate for self employment, you may find it is much higher than you would have assumed. write offs are nice tho... i believe that covers dvd and book tutorials as well if your into that sorta thing ;)

-woog
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Jensen wrote: »
    1. Sculpting a copy of the david statue for someone (just the sculpt)?

what would you do that for?
    Peris wrote: »
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~pablo/files/data/vcg_david_500k.obj

an actual 3d scan of michaelangelo's David! Very cool to check out =). I want to see someone try to retopo that!