Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elizebeth st Project: Chairs + Tables & Kodak

Thought I would post up some work I'm doing for a class project. Our assignment is to create a 3D version Elizebeth st in Melbourne. Everyone in the class is assigned a prop and building/business to model. In my case I'm to model the Kodak store and the Chairs and Tables outside McDonalds.

So far I've only done the Chairs and Table, unfortunately I didn't make a back up of the Kodak store before it was deleted from the schools server, so I have to do it again. But I had only started so it wasn't that much of a loss.

table_and_chairs_render_smoothed_ta.jpg

t_c_wires.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its hard to tell if the wires on the chairs are being used effectively. so far so good
  • clayton_barton
    ZacD wrote: »
    its hard to tell if the wires on the chairs are being used effectively. so far so good

Thanks ZacD,

Here's a larger image of the wireframes for the chair model.

chair_wireframe.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    looks pretty good

is this realtime or for a rendered still/movie?

if this is realtime you'll want to cut off a lot of polies. they seem like they're around 1k triangles per chair right now which is rather heavy for something like this.

if i recall correctly most props in UT3 hover around 2-300 polygons so you'll want to aim for 500 max, especially of there's going to be a lot of them.

an easy fix would be using 4-5 sided tubes instead.. and then cutting out a loop here and there
  • clayton_barton
    Snader wrote: »
    looks pretty good

is this realtime or for a rendered still/movie?

if this is realtime you'll want to cut off a lot of polies. they seem like they're around 1k triangles per chair right now which is rather heavy for something like this.

if i recall correctly most props in UT3 hover around 2-300 polygons so you'll want to aim for 500 max, especially of there's going to be a lot of them.

an easy fix would be using 4-5 sided tubes instead.. and then cutting out a loop here and there

It is real time, in a game engine. I can't remember off the top of my head what engine we're using (I have a feeling it's the latest unreal engine) but what we are aiming for is a full 3D version of Elizibeth st, in which we as players will be able to interact.

Regarding the poly counts, its pretty flexible. I checked with our class coordinator and he wants the models to be pretty detailed. Our max is around 6000 polys for each object if I recall corretly.

maccas_table_chair_scene_polycount.jpg

Here's the current count for what I've modelled so far:
    Table = 324 tris (130 polys)
    Chair = 1172 tris (588 polys)
    Current Scene = 5014 tris (2484 polys)
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should be ok for polys. Check your scene against the official maps http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25318125&postcount=60
  • clayton_barton
    Some progress on the Kodak store.

kodak2.jpg

kodak1.jpg

kodak3.jpg