Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Commander Xhan

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Hey kids,

I don't post around here much but I'm always browsing :)

This is the 2nd thing I've show you guys, the first was a 3D environment I did a while back. I should also post up a 3D character I did as this forum focuses more on 3D.

Anyways, this is a digital painting of a sketch I did during Art History (bleh). I think the painting took about 10-12 hours and the sketch was 1 hour.

I've been playing a lot of Dead Space recently :p

Comments and critiques are always welcome! Thanks :)

Full shot
commanderXahn_coloredWEBLarge.jpg

Detail shot
commanderXahn_coloredWEBdetail.jpg

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    That is easily the sexiest monster I've ever laid eyes on. Really great work!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice! Absolutely love the colors and silhouette of the character. Great job.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you two :)

Anyone have suggestions for some fixes?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My opinion:

The face looks sort of painted on and not without a clear vision in mind for it. I would like to see some sort of unified structure to it. The face also looks very flat...

It reminds me a lot of Zerg characters from Starcraft and thats ok but it looks honestly sort of weak. Perhaps give it wings or a larger torso, some sort of character that really stands out.

It's a good concept so far.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now you have to make this guy in 3D to add to the fat biker guy!
    He looks pretty badass, however a less humanoid shaped nasal cavity could look really interesting, or a "thumb" type appendage off of the secondary arms
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr: Have any suggestions as to what would help bring the face some dimension? It's also a bit more inspired by Dead Space than Starcraft for me. The color pallette is definitely Zerg-ish but I was trying to lean a bit more towards an organic exterior rather than an external skeleton like the Zerg.

VikingJim: I was thinking about making him into a 3D character, actually. The concept is fleshed out enough that I shouldn't have too much guess work when it comes to modeling and sculpting in Zbrush. I'll think about those changes as well.

Thank you both :)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Damn.. This is just so awesome! I really love his wings. :)
    Yeah, put him in 3d..
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I made some changes based off of critiques. In order to make the face feel less "painted on" I thought I could extend his jawline back to help pull the head into the rest of the body.

I also adjusted some highlights around the face and shoulders as well as removed a bad blood vein that went along the left of his head. On top of that I modified some general lighting to help the focal point a tad bit more (about 25%)

commanderXahn_coloredWEBLarge-1.jpg

commanderXahn_coloredWEBdetail-1.jpg

And here is the original sketch for your viewing pleasure :)
    commanderXahnLines40.jpg
  • uneditablepoly
    Great painting of a great sketch! Really solid stuff, I wouldn't want to run into that guy in an abandoned space station.. ;p
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm, looks like some of my neighbors.