Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tri-Axe

s0id3
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
This is an axe I made based off Diablo 3 sketch concepts. My goal for this was to create it as a next gen asset with hand painted textures. This asset was a new experience as I poly painted it in zbrush first then did touch ups in photoshop.
Rendered in UT3

TriAxe_1.jpg
TriAxe_Wires.jpg
TriAxe_HP.jpg
TriAxe_Diffuse.jpg
TriAxe_normals.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A lot of wasted geo that I'd use to make the cloth wrapped around the handle to pop out more.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Ryan,

Cool weapon. Try spending more time on the conceptualization of the weapon. Right now it looks like 3 spikes coming out of a big dice. I would of only used one of the spikes in the unwrap too, there isnt any remarkable differences between any of them to justify the UV space you used. I would of unwrapped only half of the center part as well. The viewer is only getting one side of the weapon in all your renders. The concept also seems really top heavy and could use some sort of balance on the bottom area.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    You should make the cloth on the handle one large strap instead of several small ones that are not connected to each other. The way it is now it looks rather unrealistic.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    turpedo wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

Cool weapon. Try spending more time on the conceptualization of the weapon. Right now it looks like 3 spikes coming out of a big dice. I would of only used one of the spikes in the unwrap too, there isnt any remarkable differences between any of them to justify the UV space you used. I would of unwrapped only half of the center part as well. The viewer is only getting one side of the weapon in all your renders. The concept also seems really top heavy and could use some sort of balance on the bottom area.

Thanks for the crit Kelvin. I would have normally unwrapped my model the way you suggested but I needed the unique UV's for poly painting. So I'm still trying to figure out ways around that, I wish there was like a render to texture sort of thing in zbrush.
    I see what you mean about the design, now all i see is a dice too ><
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    wasted UV space,- you can compress that and combine at least 2 spikes into 1 UV shell.
  • torontoanimator
    i definitely like the diffuse texture, but i couldnt even really tell there was a normal map :S maybe you need a bit more geometry to actually show it off?