Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

designing, building and rigging a mech

Hey all!

I normally do animation, but I have a few months off and thought I'd try building a robot rig.

Character setting;

It's half past the future and humanity has gone batshit insane. A cult of AI worshipers "submit to the almighty singularity" and voluntarily replace their flesh with mech. Their arms and legs are cut off and their nervous system integrated with massive robotic limbs, creating powerful and fanatical walking weapons who serve the AI with manic devotion

Here's a couple rough ideas I had

killbot_concepts.jpg

Something with lots of exposed hydraulics, dangling wires, huge limbs with tiny bodies. I'm thinking it would be cool to have the human torsos exposed to the front so you can see the scarred flesh. The upper hips to the lower chest would be exposed. This may not make sense combat wise though, so maybe encasing them in thick glass and filling that with glowing fluid? I want to make it obvious that these are not robots, there's a mutilated human inside somewhere ..

I went with the guy on the bottom left, but the limbs should be pretty exchangeable so when I make the next 'bot hopefully I'll be able to re-use some parts.

The big thing I want to go for is functionality. I want to make these mechs very believable, very industrial. I started blocking out in 3d to figgure out how the hydraulics could work.

Killbot_1.jpg

Mainly focused on the legs. Something with disk joints for shoulders, should be simple to rig and very industrial robot looking. Like those arm-robots that put cars together. His left hand is pretty non-functional here though. Big hanging cannon, SAM site/rocket pack on his back there.

here's a fully roughed out version

Killbot_4.jpg

this version is all blocking, just trying to think through how he's put together. Not game ready, I need to re-do the legs so they'll work with rigging. The gun is a bit blocky in shape, need to rethink that, but you can see air compressors all over it and it's actually hanging on a rail so there will be tons of kickback dampening when it fires. On the back of the gun is a huge "jaws of life" pincer that rotates. That whole unit flips up so he can use the pincers as a weapon. Having the jet pack on that little scorpion tail will be interesting animation-wise. I'm not happy with his left hand, the fingers are painfully simple. Was going for some kind of flat punching thing but it's clearly not working.

I'm painting on top of these pics in photoshop to figure out where to go from here, I'll post that soon as it's done. After seeing District 9's there are some things I'd like to change. That movie's mech was the closest thing to what I've got in mind out there.

If you'd like to paint onto these and post any suggestions that would be awesome, I could use some feedback!

Thanks!

:)

Replies