Home Technical Talk

How to rig a weapon/shield

Hey guys,

i am new on side, awesome stuff here great art!

I found the thread from Marshal Banana with the same question but i didn't get the point how to do it.

I build a character and a rig but i am a bit unsure how to add a weapon and a shield to an existing rig. I am new in this field and have really no idea how to do it.

knightrigging.jpg

here is my theory starting point:

for the shield:
- i will use one bone from the hip(root bone to the shield). From there i would skin the shield 100% to the bone which should be snapped the handbone. -> parent contraint?

Sword:
- two different bones from the hip to the sword.

but how should i append the weapon with the weaponsleve to the rig? they share they rotation values as long as the blade is not drawn or pulled by the Hand. How should i add a parameter/constraint which changes there rotation dependence from the leg to a parent constraint of the Hand. something like a snapfunction?

positionsword.jpg

Here is a screen of the actual character.

charactertexturingdone.jpg

rigging2.jpg

And here is the rig.

riggings.jpg

The character should drag the blade except the weaponsleve which should stay in position and bounce in dependence of the leg movement.

I am a bit on a stony path I hope someone can put me in the right direction.

thanks in advance
Cody

PS: CC is also welcome

Replies

• omegalith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, sorry I can not help you but I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone else can help you. I am also new to rigging and I am going to have issues similar to this one soon. Hope someone can help us!
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not certain if this will help in your case, since you're probably wanting to use the rig in a game engine and I am not sure if this is possible. But back when I was doing rigging in school for animation in maya, for stuff people would grab and use, we simply did whats called "visibility swaps." Which means you would have two of that object, one parented/weighted to the hand, and one parented/weighted to the table or hip of the character. At the start of the animation, visibility is turned off for the one stuck to the hand, and turned on for the hip/table one. Then when the character grabs the item, the visibility for each is swapped on the very same frame, making it look like it was the same object.

Not sure if you can do that in your case though, I've never rigged for a game engine and am not sure if visibility swaps are common practice.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, parent constraint is the way to do it.

I'd have two "helper" joints (one on the hip, one in the hand) for the sword, then the "actual" joint which the sword is skinned to. It doesn't have to be a child of anything, it can be free in the world. Then you'd just add the two "helper" joints as Parent Constraint targets (turn off "maintain offset" when creating the constraint) and you will now have a list of 2 weights to keyframe on the parent constraint. One for the hip, one for the hand.

Then you can just keyframe the weight at 1 for whichever joint needs control at that time. You'll probably want to use "stepped" keys for those so that you don't get any weird blending when going between parents.

Same method for the shield.

Nice thing about this is you can also set both weights to 0 and animate the sword/shield free in the world (for example if he drops it or throws it).

If you have any more questions about the Parent Constraint, read the Maya Help on Parent Constraints. It will tell you everything. If you don't even know where to start, and don't know what I'm talking about, read the Maya Help for animation or rigging tutorials. There's plenty of information in there that covers what you want to do.

Edit: Nice model, btw :)
  • Thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, I was a bit in absence but
    thanks for your help guys.
    I used MoP'S method and everthing worked fine. The method is really awesome I will use it for many other push and pull objects.

thanks MOP

cheers
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't read the issue, looked at the requirements (system or range of motion) or read the responses, but I had a question as to why the clavicles where placed so low?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it appears your rigging in maya so yea i can certainly help lots of exp there. you built your hand structure wrong for a good grip rig in maya. make sure that when you build your rig you are keeping in mind what it is you want your character to be capable of. add an extra joint in the middle of the hand on the palm side where you want the sword to be held...

MOP already covered this...he sooo fast

there are actually a few other points on this rig that could be improved to make animating easier, if you have any more questions ask away!

- Woog
  • Thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your points ,
    before i start with my next rig I will post any spefic questions.
    @ Vig where do you think should the clavicles be placed?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Thomas wrote: »
    @ Vig where do you think should the clavicles be placed?
    clavicle.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    These days I tend to angle my clavicles slightly downwards by about 10 degrees - this means that when the arms are hanging vertically there isn't a 90 degree angle between the clavicle and the arm, which usually prevents any horrible gimbal issues with roll bones in the shoulder/arms.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShoulderJoint.jpg
    Some where higher, so you can lift the clavicle/shoulders up when he reaches over his head. It will give you the ability to touch his shoulder to his ear like yours does when you reach above your head.

If only rotate the bicep up and don't lift the shoulder, you end up with a big hole between the neck and the shoulder.
    Take a look at the shoulder area of the upside down guy in this shot the clavicle is placed in the right spot (more or less) but he failed to rotate it when the arms went above the head.

If you're guy is never going to raise his arms up above a T pose it probably won't matter.

The design of the neck/shoulder armor being one big inflexible piece, seems to look like he couldn't move his arms above a T pose, so the rig could be fine. But often with sword wielding knights there is a lot of arms going all over the place.

Personally I would break the neck armor so each shoulder can move independently, and then rerig the clavicle so it can lift above his head.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane wrote: »
    clavicle.gif
    Note that real life bone placement isn't always the best way to place joints. If you placed the end of the clavicle where the real clavicle ends (top of the shoulder, connected to the shoulder blade). It will give you some horrible deformation. If anything you want to probably error toward the arm pit and route the clavicle into the socket joint of the bicep since the shoulder blade is never used in games and a bit of a dead end.

So where it points at the sternum to where it points the shoulder blade would be a good place to start.The end of his clavicle is in a good spot now, might be a little high and outside, but that's pretty much prefect placement to start with only testing will tell you for sure.

I also do like Rick suggested and angle them down slightly.

I place the end of the clavicle/start of bicep by drawing an imaginary line from the end of where the real clavicle would end (top of shoulder) to the arm pit, it tends to be a 15 or 20 degree angle, I then place it about the half way mark and maybe nudge it in and down toward the pit. Like I said he has some pretty good placement on that joint already.
  • Thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your hot tips, i will take care of them in further projects.