Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Bram Eulaers - environment art - lots of new stuff!

Replies

• nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work man, everything is top notch. I especially love that ship. The site is very nice as well, simple and to the point. My only suggestion would be to add a back button to the bottom of all the sub pages for faster navigation back to the homepage. Good luck with freelance stuff :).
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Needless to say nice stuff Bram. Sincerely hope you find some work befitting your talent.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, this is great work as everyone pointed out. Saved to inspiration folder.
    That fall scene is really really awesome man.
    My only crit is to possibly pull the fog back a little on the first two scenes. A really minor point, but it would make those scenes perfect in my eyes if they were a tad clearer.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Oh yeah, I have some crits as well:

I'd like to see more technical info on the pieces. Like the yatch, you say there's no baked lighting but then you don't specify how it was rendered, which engine, what's mesh and what's bsp and there's no wireframes or polycounts.

I pretty much loved everything BUT that "cybernetis facility". There are some nice shapes, but I just can't tell WTF IS THAT. Is it an automated factory? No doors? No windows? No chimney, no power lines? And there's just too much detail on the building itself, so I don't really know where to look. So much color contrast, shadows, shapes, everything! I think the concept is WAY better than the finished piece.

But that's all I can crit on your stuff. Amazing and inspiring work.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    He may not be able to post wireframes due to the fact that it was for a game.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    outstanding folio!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Eek! A lot of replies =), thanks everyone!
    planaria wrote: »
    the rock modelling in your terrains is fantastic, how did you achieve those results exactly? do you just generate it somehow or sculpt the terrain or a combination? details would be appreciated !

I've been trying a variety of techniques, it depends on what kind of rocks you want of course. Usually I create a tiling texture by baking out a sculpted mesh or even use crazybump for it, combined with a normal map painted by hand to get better geometry feeling and less "generated" feel. Then I usually lay it out over a mesh with nice silhouette and geometry and like to do stuff like painting creases in the geometry darker by multiplying them with vertexcolors.
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Superb work Bram, I really love your stuff. Makes me even more sad that your great work will never be used in a game now that GRIN is gone :(
    (btw, what a grim coincidence that Khaeon/Spellborn has also faded away recently...)

I guess I'm jinxed =)
    Holy S**T... I've loved your work for a long time man, but that new stuff you posted is just awesome! What res are most of those textures at for the unannounced project, and was it all from the same project?

Everything is textured at 256 pixels/m, but since it was for consoles and the engine was a deferred renderer without any kind of texture streaming, we had to use a lot of tricks to optimise the memory use. Like the swedish mansion level for example all the oak trees share thesame 512 diffuse for the leaves, and then i used a tint material for the variations. The bark is just a tiling 256 texture. I used detailtextures wherever possible as well like on the rocks for example so we didn't end up with too large texture sizes on big surfaces but also not the typical tiling texture look. In the small asset breakdown pic from the yacht, all those models share thesame 1024 sheet, I laid it out so a lot was reusable to the extreme =).

I'll probably update the site soon with more info on the screenshot pages explaining how it was all done.
    EDIT: Opps, I have another question actually. For that modular futuristic city (the blue and orange one) you said you used vertex colouring to help with ambient shadow. Does that information import into Unreal? And could you explain the process of that just a bit more.

Just add a multiply node that multiplies the diffuse with the vertexcolor and put that in teh diffuse slot in the material editor and it should work =). I also multiplied the specular.
    Also, you have these planes under (or attached too the meshes, maybe you added vertex colouring to them?) to your floating meshes, I was wondering what that is used for?

They are just decals to create small ambient occlusion-like shadows under the floating meshes.
    Sorry for the questions Bram, just a lot of great work here and I would love to pick your brain just a bit.

no problem, I'm happy to answer them =)
    YO Your work is outstanding
    I have ordered bionic commando on the back of this... I guess that type of approach didn't help but your work is amazing, best of luck

ok ttyl

haha cool! I hope you'll enjoy it. Despite it's flaws I'm very happy to have worked on it. It definitely worth checking out for the environment art made by Simon Barsky, Philip Klevestav and Andrew hamilton as well, they all did amazing work!
    adam wrote: »
    Really interested in the first environment shown: How the textures are made, the terrain, etc.

terrain was made with worldmachine, then we used a pretty complex terrain shader that blends 4 different textures with alphas and a noise map so it wouldnt just be a straight fade between teh textures. Then over a longer distance the texture fades into a big "megatexture" to get more large frequency details like the hill in the distance etc.
    malcolm wrote: »
    Great stuff. Can you tell us what method you're using for the ao on the yacht, it says there are no lightmaps baked.

It's basically vertexcolors painted in the right spots oldschool style, with some ambient occlusion painted on the diffuse texture. I also placed shadow decals here and there under some objects. Then I used omnilights placed in the right spots to simulate some light bouncing around. It's not as perfect as i wanted to in those screens though since i never really got to finish the yacht, you can probably spot some sunlight shining through the mesh in some parts :p.
    fonfa wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I have some crits as well:

I'd like to see more technical info on the pieces. Like the yatch, you say there's no baked lighting but then you don't specify how it was rendered, which engine, what's mesh and what's bsp and there's no wireframes or polycounts.
    It's the diesel engine and it's all meshes, no bsp. It's a pretty simple deferred renderer with one sunlight casting shadows and then some omnilights placed around.
    I pretty much loved everything BUT that "cybernetis facility". There are some nice shapes, but I just can't tell WTF IS THAT. Is it an automated factory? No doors? No windows? No chimney, no power lines? And there's just too much detail on the building itself, so I don't really know where to look. So much color contrast, shadows, shapes, everything! I think the concept is WAY better than the finished piece.

But that's all I can crit on your stuff. Amazing and inspiring work.

I really agree with you and was unsure of putting it on the portfolio because of this. I hope one of these days i'll find some more time to put it in a more complete scene making it look a bit more logical =P

whew! Well if you have any more questions let me know!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    rasmus wrote: »
    F. Also, that stone wall in the forest environment kicks serious ass,

thanks, I created that to figure out how we could create architecture like that in a fast way. I wrote a little tutorial on it, now I can obviously make this public:

http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/generic_wall_tutorial/generic_wall_tutorial.html

also a similar tutorial about optimising hipoly assets so they become easy to work with:

http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/optimisation_workflow_tutorial/optimisation_workflow_tutorial.html

I need to clean up the text a bit and figure out a nice way to integrate these into my site =).
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice tutorials, and lucky for me directly relevant to the sculpting work I will be doing soon. Thanks Peris, you're the man!
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely inspiring. *sketching new environment work now*
    Good luck to you.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    thanks for the tuts \o/ guna start me a new environment soon! thanks for the inspiration!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    holy shit i have to talk to my bosses!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Daaamnn Bram, thank you so much for the break downs, and thanks for answering the questions as well :)

You rock my world man!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you rock man. thanks for the quick tuts. great stuff
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you just gave me a boner by looking at your work.... keep it up.. no pun intended..
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the tuts. :thumbup:
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, it's both inspiring and a kick in the ass to look at this caliber of stuff. Beautiful and technically incredible. Amazing use of texture space man, and flora, and color, and, well, everything.

Hope you get a job soon or the rest of us are doomed ;)
  • JZak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZak polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing work! This is definitely inspiring to see. Thank you for sharing and good luck in all you do.
  • ivan0v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you man, hope you'll participate at the unearthy challange again.
    bless
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel humbled and inspired at the same time your work is really top notch and amazing i know this doesn't really matter but the only question I want to ask is how long did it take on a rough average to make each environment?.

The abandoned colony i love it, It reminds me of the finale in Final Fantasy 7 when the vegetation took over Midgar City.

Kudos
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Fantastic stuff mate!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Amazing work, just looking at your thumbnails makes me want to say you hired! If you can't find a job then there is something really wrong. good luck.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    super work, great folio
  • ivan0v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i realy like the shader for the stream at swedish manshion level. Can you make a screenshot of its nodes pls?
  • kodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man. I just want to say Bram you've really inspired me with your work. I've been struggling to decide between environment art and pure design as a career path, but I think I've made up my mind after seeing your work!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • psychotron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job, very impressive environments
    would you mind write short tutorial about foliage? 'cause your foliage is awesome looking (I'm interested especialy in trees)
    please :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    awesome stuff dude

ill try to hook you up with some work