Home Technical Talk

Manipulator tool disappears when I extrude, Maya2009Unlimited

It's just one thing after another it seems! After I fixed my issue with grid snapping I could not extrude faces.

When I grab the faces and try to extrude, the manipulator tool [X,Y,Z, red, green and blue move tool, W] disappears. And then I can't move the faces but they remain highlighted.

Any ideas for me?? I seem to be plagued with problems.

Thank you for reading my thread.

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Assuming this is Maya, based on your signature, try going to Show in the viewport and make sure Manipulators has been checked
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    You count yourself lucky and muscle on. Manipulators are tools of the devil. GUI crutches designed to slow us down with complacence. This is the one true control scheme, no others will be tolerated.

Or y'know--yeah--what fmnoor said. Check your settings.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    n88tr> Is the manipulator ever there? I mean at first when you extrude it's not there? Because if you deselect or switch tool you won't get back the extrude-specific-manipulator unless you use the Show Manipulator Tool (T).

If this isn't the case you could always try nuking your Prefs to see if that helps. I've had manipulators gone bye bye a few times and killing Prefs solves it every time. You have a user specific "prefs" folder that stores your custom preferenses, this is also quite often a source of weird behavior in Maya.

For example. C:\Users\kodde\Documents\Maya\2009\prefs

Note that this will remove any custom settings, shelfs, etc. If you are unsure about doing this just rename it instead of deleting it. This will make maya not find the "prefs" folder and create a new fresh one for you.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Could be that you've turned construction history off. The icon right next to the render-icons in the status line. Looks like a piece of paper and a clock..... It should be on (if you want the manipulators to show)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh, good thinking.
    I'll put my money on ivars idea.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys, I'll try these things out and get back to you.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Ivars that fixed it.

Thanks a lot!!