Home Technical Talk

Baking with xNormal - map erros

andersh
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
andersh polycounter lvl 10
Hey everybody! I'm revisiting this character and finishing him off to add to my reel in the next few weeks, but I'm having an issue with the map baking. Here's a shot of my baked maps on the low poly:

hauntalienbakePreviewpost01.jpg

You can see I highlighted some errors in my maps. With my limited knowledge, I am guessing this is a raycasting distance error casting the arm onto the hip? Can anyone out there educate me on this point, or direct me to a tutorial that would clear up this baking issue?

My other thought is that maybe I could separate the torso from the arms and bake it that way, but then I'm concerned that I might generate noticeable seams (its pretty seamless right now).

I baked my maps in xNormal.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that is a ray distance problem. In the lowpoly section you can set the ray distances, turn them down a bit and it should fix it. IT looks like the arm is casting onto the torso atm. Also be sure to click off "use cage" as i think it may be on by default(does bad things if you dont have a cage set up).
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model, but someone stole his nipples :).
    Sry I am no help.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    It defeinitely looks like a ray distance problem, aye.
    For complex organic models you should setup a cage in a way that it covers completely the highpoly model.

If you find this too complex just continue using uniform ray distances and play a bit with the ray distance until you get a good result... but to get better results I'm afraid you're gonna need to setup a cage.
  • WookieShampoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, if it is a ray distance prob you could render off 2 or 3 or more normal/AO maps each with different ray distance settings and then layer them together in photoshop and erase out the bad bits to create the nice clean map.