Home Technical Talk

Clean Slate (OS)

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
I wanna format a laptop, but dont have the CD's that came with it on me. Is there another way to make it just like new? What would happen if I hit the format option for my main drive? I kinda want to get rid of everything, installed programs etc, not just files and folders.

Any options?

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    If you just hit format it will delete everything, and unless you have a windows install disk or some other OS install disk.. you will just boot to bios. Which would be useless.

Definitely have some sort of OS ready to install if you do format.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't have CD with driver anymore, you might want to grab the current drivers and burn them (course for videocards you can just download the newest ones (recommended)).

Google 'extract drivers' or something alike. I did it once but can't remember exact program, think lots of small progs that will do the trick.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    with some vista OEM versions (notebooks often) you don't even get a a DVD or CD because they expect you to burn a recovery DVD using the built in Vista tools.
    Its a big crime imo. because that way its impossible or not easy to install a clean and minimalistic windows to begin with because 99% of all computers these days come with a pre installed windows and lots of adware applications (nero lite, anti virus trial, skype, real player,...).

And yes you really need to have a windows CD in order to build a prober recovery state/ disc. If you have a valid license why not lend the CD from a friend, install it and use your own key upon registration? - because the CD's are all the same to begin with.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    If you're hard up for an OS to install, you can still get the Windows 7 Release Candidate which will be good till mid 2010. I'm running it, seems to be fine.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be careful trying to install windows with an oem license key and retail installation disk, it may not work.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    OK thanks for the advice guys. But I realised I wont be able to use this method, as I am trying to sell it off and they want the same OS on discs to be packed in with it. So I have to put Vista on it, and give them the 32bit version of the OS that came with a newer laptop of mine. Trouble is, when I try to install it, I get to the stage where it is talking about partition drives, and that it needs at least 774MB for one, and the 'Next' button is greyed out and I cant get past it...there doesnt seem to be a button I need to push. There is a selection list which has the main drive in it, how much is taken up and how much is left (about 1.5Gigs). This option is highlighted and there are no others...so Im stuck. Any ideas? Thanks for the advice so far.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I would always back up what's necessary and format the drive you're installing on. Vista's installation should have an 'advanced' button to give you access to delete/new partition options. It will stay grayed out after formatting if it knows the system can't boot from the drive, but that shouldn't be an issue for the drive/channel it's been using.