Home Technical Talk

buying memory

Good day
I have once made a post about rigs ect but i am looking at this now and am faced with some questions.
I want to buy ram for my rig, but dont know what the best way to go.
I can get 2 types listing now

Corsair TW3X4G2000C9DF , Dominator , with DHX technology + airflow Fan , 2 x 2Gb/2048mb kit , ddr3-2000 ram module

(ddr3 - 2000)

or

OCZ PC3-15000 DDR3 CL9 Triple Channel 3x2GB Kit - CL 9-9-9-28, 1.65 Volts ram module
(ddr3 - 1866)

the thing is, the first one is obviously faster and a little bit more expensive. The second one is a bit slower and cheaper. I want to get 12 gb of that.
Now do i go for the cheaper one, or more expensive one. If i do go for the more expensive one, will one really notice this difference if i buy a i7 333mhz processor to work with it? Is the firs one gonna benefit me more or not really from the second one?

I want to build a really fast machine that would not disappoint me, so any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't get why they sell ddr by the 4 gigs, I would've just got 9 gigs of the most expensive ram, but that doesn't seem to be an option.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going with a Intel Core i7 CPU, then you should get the triple channel ram as that's what it's designed to be used with. Any older CPU like a Core 2 Quad/Duo will need/use dual channel ram.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol i know what you are saying.
    I upgrade my pc one in 5 or 6 years, and normally i cannot upgrade big. This time, i only have this great opportunity to go for a nice big upgrade. The computer shops are not much helpful when you try to buy stuff, because most of them say..this is more expensive..so this is better. I do also know a little bit of pc's and build my own ones too. Through the process of learning and improving my 3d skills im tired of long long hours of waiting for stuff to render or even fail, and have to go to work, or even borrow my work pc wich is a quad core,( 4 gig ram 1333 mhz) ram machine. and that too takes sometimes a bit long. So now i am saying, for modelling, animation and just sometimes playing games (its anyway all a hobby in the end, feel more passionate then about my job) to upgrade to take all those pain and frustration away. I know, this might not be feeling like you have dreamed about, but at least this will kick my dual core in the dust. I rendered a pice of glass yesterday, took me a very very long time to render it. Opening anything else kills the machine and then it runs out of memory. SO hey, push it where you can
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    5 to 6 years is a long time for a PC upgrade, how much are you spending? You can get a great i7 rig for $1,500 and save the rest for another upgrade in 3 years.