Home Technical Talk

does photoshop lie to you? cause illustrator does

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
Why... WHY WHY WHY... when I create a slice with decimal places in the pixels... say... 79.999x79.999 does it export at 80x81? Even when I manually input the slice dimensions to 80x80... it will STILL LIE TO ME and export at 80x81.

Why does this happen? because the X/Y location is a decimal.

HOW does that and how should it effect how a slice exports in size?

DAMNED if I know :poly122:

I have to go through 6 documents of 80 slices each and eliminate ALL decimal points in slice dimensions ant X/Y locations one at a time by hand to get this thing to export at the sizes that I want. :/

illustrator is epic fail in this regard.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    because Illustrator DOES NOT CALCULATE IN PIXELS INTERNALLY!!!!

its a print industry application at its core,- thats why its best used with units such as mm, inch,... its meant to work with decimals because thats what you get if you juggle with different units (inch, mm, m, feet, pica, point, ....).
    You might perhaps think that if you type in just the numbers you might work with internal units (aka non raped values) but thats not the case - there is no such thing in illustrator.
    All you can hope for is a certain level of detail in the unit engine that uses many digits to do precise unit conversions. Its the same shit you get with max or maya as soon as you start to work with real world units because they get converted to internal units without you noticing it.

Photoshop on the other hand is a pixel processing application at its core - even though many print people want to believe its meant to work with print units (dpi, ppi, mm, inch,...). But bitmaps are constructed of pixels which is why in the end its the most accurate unit in Photoshop you can work with, any other juggling with units is pure convenience for the lazy people who don't know what pixels are.

You want a pixel precise unit vector application? Use flash because its been designed from the ground up using pixel units. Setting up a row with columns and rows using vectors is way more accurate there as in Illustrator or Freehand or any other print application.

Sorry to say this: but I think you choose the wrong application for this task