Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robot concept

This one started out as a quick concept sketch as I learn my way around my new Intuos 4 tablet, and then into a speed modeling practice. Took me 1 hour to get to the stage shown on the 3D model. My process was to start out with a cube for the head and neck. Another cube for the body. Another cube and cylinder for the arm and a 4th cube for the bottom part of the body, the robotic thigh. I plan on taking this further to a final stage and I set myself a low poly budget of 1000 tris. Counting 660 so far. Inspired by the Myr, a set of cards from the CCG Magic the Gathering, from the block set of Mirrodin.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/...r_1024x768.jpg
http://www.evocacion.com/magic-the-g...erador-myr.jpg

Quick_Robo_Sketch1.jpg
Quick_Robo_Sketch2.jpg
Robot_SS1.jpg
Robot_SS3.jpg
Robot_SS2.jpg

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I see lots of 5 sided faces. as for the 1000 tri count limit.... i suggest, since its just for you, you raise it to 2k. its a neat little design, i like it, but the mdoel needs a few more edge loops to add to give the roundness of what your design shows
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 sided faces? Where?

As for the poly count, the smoothed out version just like in my concept was for after I make the blocky one. I just wanted to do something low poly, beneath 1000 for practice and to learn to control my mesh flow.
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    There are n-gons right where his forearm meets his bicep and on his side below where the arm meets his body. It also looks like there is one on the top of his torso but I'm not sure. Looks pretty good so far so let's see where this goes ;).
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    oh noes, not five sided polygons!

slipsius - telling him to double his budget on a personal learning piece is just odd.

exevalon - on a low poly piece like this you have to make sure each vertex is pulling it's weight. if it isn't affecting the silhouette, get rid of it. look at the center line down his chest. that entire loop is pointless, as he stands. pull back those points on either side to help round out his chest - this aught to help get rid of some of his obvious box origins. same goes for his head and arms. lots of cuts that slacking off.

i would also make his arms separate objects from his torso - there's no reason to have it one contiguous mesh, it will just eat up your poly budget and make rigging him a pain in the ass.
  • 3DK.P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P. polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Sectaurs, every poly does need to pull its weight. As for the edge loop down the middle, maybe you should just delete one side of the robot and do a duplicate special and mirror it so you only have to model one side. I think that would be the way to go unless you were planning on making it asymmetrical. The loop down the middle will allow you to mirror the texture as well once you're done so it's not useless by any means.

Yes you should move the verts around to reduce the boxiness but, you do have the overall shape of the robot down. Keep going, looking forward to seeing the updates.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I was able to eliminate one of the N-gons on the arm by adding another edge loop. I did so becuase the upper arm is supposed to be a bit wide. I eliminated aswell several edges around the model freeing up lots of polys, yay! Im working symmetrical on the arms and now on the legs. The torso and head was started out as a normal box and I moved the verts on both sides at the same time to maintain symmetry. I think I have to maintain the boxiness for now becuase If I don't I will probably end up exceeding my poly limit. Once I have my legs ready, then I will refine the model as needed.

I kept the shoulder as a n-gon cause its supposed to be round though I could make it six sided and keep my numbers pair but again its a little refining I will do after I have the entire model ready. I did the arms separately but then added it into the body, I guess I wasn't thinking of rigging lol. I'll have to end up just taking it apart from the body, create a nice little entry of where it was supposed to go as to maintain the illusion it is connected. Like a hole where all the compartments are to make the arm rotate. I also have to add in another cylinder in the area where the forearm will bend, an elbow if you will. But im not sure how im supposed to go about it in an efficient manner and without having it look fugly. Making the lower arm separate from the upper arm? Anyways, enough of this long post, here is an update, and the legs are on the way. Thanks for the replies guys. O yeah, Polycount so far is 583 tris.

Robot_SS4.jpg

update:
    Did the legs and separated the arms from the torso. They may look as if they are together but they are seperate objects with a temporary combine. Im at 915 tris. Im sure I can do a little bit of refining now but Im unsure of how to tackle adequately the joints so that when I rig it will look good and not screwed up as they rotate. I was thinking of seperating the arms and legs into 2 sections and the ankle joint apart from the leg and foot. But I dont want to just have that cylinder there floating, I want it to be justified. Advice please.

Robot_SS5.jpg
  • vf501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me alot of Kev Walker's Myr design for Magic:The Gathering- Mirrodin.

Wallpaper_SilverMyr_1024x768.jpg

Here's a decent Low poly Limb Deformation guide by poopinmymouth. I'd recommend using the dual edge loops in the center, doesn't add too many polygons and the extra points can further define the joints.

limb_deformations.gif

Refine the feet more, the edge loop running around them on the x-axis adds nothing to its shape, removing it and sharpening the front of the foot to match your reference would be better. Since you're limited to 1000 tris, think more in terms of triangles and how they can define shapes, instead of thinking in quads.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment vf501. Yeah I was influenced by Kev Walker and his design on the Myr, cool looking little machines they are. Thanks for the heads up on limb deformation, but it still doesnt help me out as to what I want to do visually. My problem is how to show the cylinders aid in rotation and movement of the limbs without resorting to have the cylinder floating inbetween the upper part of the leg and the lower part of the leg or the same with the arm. With lots of polys, one would simply model in a way to hide that detail. But im thinking of a way to do it with a low poly budget. And thanks for the tip on the feet. Still refining the model.
  • vf501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a 1k or less mech character you might have to make it floating, but how it interacts in terms of motion depends on how it is rigged and weighted to your skeleton. Since this is a mechanical character and low-poly you're looking mostly at a 100% bone weight for the limbs, so if you make the upper parts a separate mesh from the lower, you can rig and weight it as such, with the forearm on its own bone and upper arm on its own, then you weight the cylinder joint to either one. You just have to center the rotation point for the fore/lower limb bone right in the middle of the cylinder. Biggest issue of mechanicals is shoulders and hips clipping into the main body in a bad rig.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip v501.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is the final low-poly model of the robot with skeleton. It can't get any better than this. Im at 997 tris. I eliminated unviewable edges and faces, and got a few extra edges in where needed. This is as far as I go with the 1000k model. Now all I need to do is accurately skin it and texture it. Then I will move on to the 2000k model which I hope will end up looking exactly as the concept art. I learned alot on edge economy and I really liked what I accomplished here even though its a simple model.

Robot_SS6.jpg

Now I know most of you don't read much when the comments are long but I need some tips on rigging.

I have weighted each joint to the corresponding area on the model to 100% on each joint, for example the joint in the head will control completely the head while the next joint beneath it will only control the torso. The arms, legs, torso, lower body and head are seperate pieces. The torso can rotate with the arms and the lower body can rotate with the legs. Now, how do I go about constraining the rotation to a specific axis? For example the arms at the shoulders and the legs at the hip can only rotate forward or backward. But how do I constrain the axis to do only that? Also, it seems I can only rotate the skeleton and model but I cannot move, as for example lower the body and raise it to simulate a walk cycle. When I do try, only the skeleton moves while the model itself stays the same. What did I do wrong?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    It's nearly a 1k tris - Before rigging him I'd suggest reusing some of the tris from things like the feet where they don't really do much to the profile and spend some on the head & body, as while they are the largest parts of the model, they seem to have the least detail.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The extra tris I got have already been used in other needy areas. :(
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    cylinders at the ankle have a vert on the center of the cap that isn't doing anything - get rid of it. same with his shoulders.

your legs and arms don't seem to have caps - they need those, i'd imagine.

still have useless loops on his pelvis, on the side. nix 'em.

feet also has cuts along the side that aren't serving a purpose.

looks like you've still got his arm/pivot/torso as a contiguous mesh. this is bad for animation of a robot and wastes a lot of polys. they should be three separate pieces: his torso, his arm, and a cylinder stuck between them.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cylinders at the ankle have a vert on the center of the cap that isn't doing anything - get rid of it. same with his shoulders.

your legs and arms don't seem to have caps - they need those, i'd imagine.

still have useless loops on his pelvis, on the side. nix 'em.

feet also has cuts along the side that aren't serving a purpose.

looks like you've still got his arm/pivot/torso as a contiguous mesh. this is bad for animation of a robot and wastes a lot of polys. they should be three separate pieces: his torso, his arm, and a cylinder stuck between them.

I think I can do away with the edges on the side of the cylinder on the foot, thanks for the heads up. However those on the pelvis if deleted will mess up the faces on the model. I tried it already. The face starts to go a bit dark at a certain angle. Same with the feet. I'll try normalizing them just to check. And as I mentioned earlier the Torso is one seperate piece, and the arm is another seperate piece. I just have them close together to avoid having a floating arm. The shoulder joint is part of the arm though, why should it be seperate? I don't see where the difficulty in animating it lies. Also, I didn't intend to take it that far, maybe just for the heck of it but this is just a low poly practice. As for the caps, I did already think of putting them in, but only if I gain extra polys.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, here is a update. I was able to keep working today after quite the hiatus, was it a week or 2? Anyways, I kept on refining the model. I then added some nice materials to give the model more of a bang visually. All I need to do is Rig and Render and thats that. For modeling purposes I think Im pretty much finished with this. My low poly practice was a success. Learned a few things here and there, and I actually reached the exact limit I had set myself with, 1000 tris exactly. Never mind that it says 4000, I simply duplicated and rotated the same model so you can see different angles. Next step will be to up the limit to 2000 and make it look alot more rounded out like in the concept, less blockyness. As for texturing, I need a crash course in texturing. How to properly unwrap, and which UV maps do I need. So I'll hold out on that. Hope you peepz like it.

Robot_SS7.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I really like how this is turning out actually. The new update looks much better in my opinion. though, i see a few areas of improvement. again with 5 sided faces, which in this case, you can fix without adding tris. Some people will tell you to focus on the poly count first, learn that, then learn about clean models, but I learn better by doing it all at once, so heres a couple of tips for you. Whether of not they are right, i guess depends on the modeller. but i hope others agree.

Robot_Edit.jpg

ok, first red box, on the leg, pelvis area. What i personally would do is merge those middle verts that are just kind of hanging there to the vert closest to them, in the center. it finishes the edge loop and will actually reduce your tri count.

next, the two red boxes at the right side. just add an edge connecting the front and back. right now you have an edge on the back and an edge on the front. but on the sides, its a 6 sided face. This wont increase your tris at all, and it will make for a cleaner model.

and next, i would say the feet. you have an edge loop straight through the middle of the foot. but it really doesnt seem like its there for any reason. you have pushed out he heel a tiny bit, and the toe a tiny bit, probably for a more rounded look. The problem i see is that you havent pushed it enough for it to really make a difference. either push it more, or drop the edge loops so you can use the tris somewhere else. add the rounded look in your next step (2k tris).

keep it up! I wanna see how this turns out. i love the design of it.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipsius: Thanks for the comment. I eliminated the tris on the thigh as they were redundant. Eliminated those on the front of the foot. I left the back edge since the small pull it has gives the foot more form. On the arm, I would have thought that since it is a flat face, it wouldn't need any edges, so thats why I eliminated them all. However I followed your advice and added in an edge in the middle for no extra poly count. Im at 992 now :).

Robot_SS8.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ah, i didnt even notice the one on the arm/shoulder. i meant the arm pit area. haha! on the side of the torso.

if you ever wanna find your n-gons, in maya, you can use the clean up tool. under the mesh drop down (polygon menu set), the tool is called "clean up....." select your object and use it.

cleanup.jpg

just, under operation at the top, make sure you change it to select matching polygons, or it could really screw up your model. it will highlight all faces that are more than 4 sides if you use the settings i have there. and to fix them, just use the split polygon tool. remember, using that tool, if connecting two verts that are already there, will NOT increase the tri count. but it will take some practice to split them in the right now. just keep at it though! you`re doing well

EDIT: if you dont have any 5+ sided faces, your object will deselect all together.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok, if you mean about the cylinder in the side of the torso that acts as a recieving area for the shoulder, that is actually a floating object I have there. It isnt connected to the torso.

edit: Nevermind saw what you meant when I used the clean up tool. But its lighting up other faces which obviously only have 4 sides and I fixing them adds to my poly count. Other faces light up becuase they have edges above them on nearby faces but they themselves lack the continuation. Since they are not corners, if I use the split poly, it will add to the count. As so happens on the thigh area and the bottom of the head. But I don't think it will be a problem since its a practice model and not a final production. By the way, what is the problem with 5 sided ngons?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    well, some of the faces that you may think only have 4 sides, probably dont. take a square for example. 4 sides. yes. but, if you add a vertex in the middle of one of the sides, that side become 2 sides. the vertex breaks it into two. so now the square is 5 sides, not 4. the square still looks like it has 4 because each "side" is straight, but the vertex in the middle screws it up. now, u can fix that problem without adding tris. you just have to use the split poly tool from that middle vertex to one of the corners on the opposite sides. this creates one 4 sided gon and a triangle. triangles still arent the "best" thingto have, but really, sometimes you just cant avoid them. just gotta work with them really.

5 sided faces can cause lighting and smoothing flaws. also, when you export the model, for games at least, you have to triangulate the model, and when there are 5 sides, iits hard to triangulate it. can screw it up and make it appear to have flaws in game. least, thats my understanding of it.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all. Continued working on the model for my new limit, 2000 tris. Already worked the head and torso and I have 1792 tris so far. Next place to work on will be the thighs and then the foot. I don't think the arms or legs will need much work since they are not that round or soft surfaced as compared to the other areas, and ofcourse because of the redesign I did on them, they will not be the same as those on the concept art. Here are the progress shots:

Robot_SS9.jpg
    Robot_SS11.jpg
    Robot_SS10.jpg
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oki doki peepz, here is my 2000 tri model. Polycount right now is 1988. Added some edges for more form on the Head, Torso, Thigh and Foot. That took up all my polycount. I figured the arms and legs didn't need much work since they do not detract from the overall look, nonetheless I wanted to add an edge or 2 to give them a slight bit of roundness but I was unable to. I've been thinking of taking this model up to 3000 tris now, and I think that will seal the deal with it.

Here are the shots:

Robot_SS12.jpg
    Robot_SS13.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Those legs are way to short... or wide. I don't know, he just looks kind of stubby.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    since you keep moving up and up in tris, i would suggest redoing the 2k one. As it does look better than the 1k, i think you put detail into the wrong areas. Those green indents everywhere do look nice, but, i personally would have spent the extra 1000 tris on rounding him off as much as possible, to make it look like the concept. the arms and legs are till four sided. if you can round everything off, then in your next tri-up, start adding the little details.

That way, when you get to a point where you are ready to learn to bake a high poly into a low poly, you have a nice base for the low.