Home Technical Talk

Spline tool in max

I hope someones awake. So i forgot how to select a shape after i use the line tool in 3ds max. like lets say i draw a very nice wavey line, i want to be able to select a box to make a wavey line box.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ...what?

Are you talking about the Path Deform WSM modifier?
    Your question really isn't very clear. Do you want to make the box follow the spline, or what?
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if i make no sense, i haven't slept yet. I wanna make that like into the shape of that box ... is that helps.

car2.jpg
    car.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you're looking for the Extrude or Bevel modifiers?
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember my teacher going over some options where it would say "select shape" and "select path" ...

Edit:
    Although bevel works pretty well
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The "Select Shape" and "Select Path" stuff makes it sound like you're talking about a Loft, but that uses splines for both inputs rather than a geometry primitive like that box.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Err MoP beat me to the punch, but you might also be looking for the "sweep" modifier?

Which like MoP said, only sweeps other spline shapes not geometry.
    So for example you would:
    Create a rectangle spline as your shape.
    On the path (truck spline) you would apply the sweep modifier.
    Choose Use Custom Selection, click pick, click your spline rectangle shape.

I'm a little confused why you would use it for something like that in the picture but it sounds like you're looking for Sweep or Loft.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah while it sounds like you're talking about those tools, they really don't make much sense for making this shape.

To be honest, if you're making this as a highpoly model, then you are probably better off treating each part as a separate object (eg. hood, wings, doors, cab etc) rather than trying to make it all one piece.
    If it's just a lowpoly then it might be ok to make it all one piece.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was loft ... thank you. I thought it was a tool i needed but it wasn't.