Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Space Scene

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
Hey all. I'm currently working on a scene from the game Dead Space. If any of you are familiar with the game, it is the astro defense room that you go to on the chapter that you fight the first brute. (dont remember the chapter number but its early). anyway, this project will take place over the next 8 weeks or so. ill have updates along the way. any help/criticism is greatly appreciated.

here's what ive got so far.

Console Wireframe:
consolewire.jpg

Door Wireframe:
doorframewire.jpg

Chair:
chair01.jpg

No Lighting, Direct X Models:
WallRenderDx.jpg

AstroDefRoom02.jpg

AstroDefRoom01.jpg

and a quick light test:

WallRender01.jpg

Let me know what u all think. :D

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Don't know what kind of specifications you're working to, but some of those polygons could be used to define a lot more features where you have flat space - like the flat beam above the console and the door, along with the pillars and the light fixtures.

If it's just a style thing and you're staying true to the game (I've never played it so I can't judge ) then fair dos, otherwise, you might want to inset those lights , or do something a little more interesting on the spaces where the model is almost flat.

Really like the style of the chair, will be interested to see it textured and lit. :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comment. ill definitely try and spruce up the geometry without ruining the texture. ill stick to beveling a lot of stuff so i dont stretch my textures.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    drop the bevels and just normal map all that stuff. it'll look better and save a ton of polys.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. well it is normal mapped as of now
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Oniram wrote: »

Console Wireframe:
    consolewire.jpg

i meant to say I was talking about the box things that go vertical. same goes for the chair.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    cool project. i really loved that room. it was one of the coolest rooms in the game.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    i meant to say I was talking about the box things that go vertical. same goes for the chair.

oh ok, well those i actually added last minute to give the room a little more "spunk." and i like the shadows that can be seen off of them. it gives for an interesting shape.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    my favourite game. i cant wait to see your finished product!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far so good =)
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got some refs for what you're building?

I found a few screenshots, but it'd be good to see what you're aiming at with the scene.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep. these are pretty much the only references i have for the scene.

AstroDeffenceroom3.jpg

AstroDeffenceroom2.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cool - makes more sense now! What you got looks spot on!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks :D im going more fore model structure rather than texture (from the reference).. this way i can still have some experimentation.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    ohhhh THAT room! Hell yea, that room was badass. I thought u were talking about the room u go into where u have to shoot the asteroids (worst part of the game) and to get there u have to go along the outside of the ship in zero gravity.

Anyway, looks good so far, cant wait to see your progress. Dead Space fucking rules.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix: could you post up those screenshots. im going to work on texturing the chair between today or tomorrow and i am still missing that disk with some sort of logo on it on the backside of the chair.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oohh, THAT room. i thought you were making the room above that one, which is what i was talking about ;p
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates :D

finished the platform and the little wall pannel between the console and door. will be starting the chair on wednesday (its already unwrapped so i just gotta get to texturing). should have it finished same day.

AstroDefRoom03.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great, keep plugging away!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    assets look great! judging by your reference though, you should move the throne further away from the door.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah. will do. thanks. starting the chair in just a bit. im probably gonna go in the game (finally grabbed a copy for pc) and get some more screens.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay. so i was delayed about a week on this (was working on some other stuff), but i finally got the chair finished. no clue what ill do next, but ill know for sure by next week. here's the updates.

AstroDefRoom05.jpg

AstroDefRoom04.jpg
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need to put a floor in! then you can start playing with the lighting more. You are doing a pretty good job on the style of Dead space. just need to smear blood everywhere now... hehe

cant wait to see more
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i will probably hold off on lighting until i am finished with the scene entirely. i realized that if and when i do lighting, i should do it in engine (most likely ut3). so i want to have the holocron and all the cool special stuff that is producing most of the lighting done before i play around with it. who knows how far ill get with this though, im only going to be working on this for another four weeks or so.

we'll see. but thanks for all the support. :D
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Oniram, if I were you i'd use your creative freedom and have more geomtry on there. You're following the concept really well but the concept overall is in my opinion really flat and boring :P Push it and make it even better than the concept! :)

So far it looks very promising! Cant wait to see it with proper lighting
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. funny how i hear from some "get rid of some geometry and use normal maps" and now "put more geometry."

but while i model the next parts ill keep in mind to put more geometry. i do agree that it is kind of low.

thanks.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's my fault for not being clear, what we mean is that you need to make your scene come more alive/look more interesting. Adding normalmaps will do that, and so will geomtry. You normalmap as much as you can, and where needed you add more geomtry. That's what we mean basically
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yes. well naturally ill be adding more. a bit later. but i wont be adding anything to my existing assets. all in all i think that what will bring it alive is the area that will be right in front of the chair. who knows, maybe ill start that next week.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Use geo to define the interesting parts of the silhouette and normals for all the super cool details that wont break the silhouette
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright. did a test yesterday. built up the geometry to fit the textured detail, then projected the normals based on that. i had much better results. so ill go back and build the detail into the scene, and project those normals, and merge them with my current normals and viola! i will have something that looks better. :D
  • psychoticprankster
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates :D i finished the holoprojector thing in the front area of the room. i still need to texture the housing component for it though. that should be done wednesday morning at the latest. here's some screens

AstroDefroom06.jpg

*the projector itself has been animated to go in an out of the housing component.
    AstroDefroom07.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the picture of just the holo looks niiiiice, but in the actual scene, i think its a bit TOO transparent. might have to tweak that later. keeeep it up!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you think the original is too transparent? or mine?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    yours. sorry, didnt say that clearly. you have two screens of it... one of which just shows the holograph and nothing else, the other is with the rest of the chair and stuff. in the one with the chair and stuff, its too transparent.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yes. that is because the planet is a sprite (the properties of which have not been set up yet, which is why it is not facing the camera). eventually when i bring this into unreal, i will have the planet and the emitter set up as particles. (the other parts of it will just be free floating mesh with no collision.

the way that you see it in the first screenshot is how it will always be seen. once its finished.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the housing done. just a base metal texture. working on the particle system now. :D

AstroDefroom08.jpg

AstroDefroom09.jpg

AstroDefroom10.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    This is look good keep it up :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i did a rotating video of the full animation. quality was scaled down on vimeo tho. :(

http://www.vimeo.com/6506367
  • Forgottenhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great Oniram! Dead Space was one of my favorite horror shooters :) The animation looks good too. It would be cool if that hologram kinda flickered a little bit when it first pops up, like the device was powering up or something. Just a suggestion :) Can't wait to see it all finished!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great Oniram. I agree with Forgottenhero about adding some flickering. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that everything is 3d and you can rotate around it except the planet. Is there a reason why you wanted to do this as a single plane rather than a sphere? I think to really make the plane version work, it would be cool if you had an animated texture of a rotating planet applied to the plane rather then a static image. This way you get a better sense of this being a 3d hologram of a planet and not just a fancy picture. But again, it looks great so far and I look forward to the final scene.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well in order for me to have it as geometry, i would need it to be extremely smooth. being around a 64 segmented polygon, way too much just for a hologram. in the game it actually is a sprite (in both references i posted, take a look, the planet is facing the same way in both pictures). i think in the end when all is finished, it wont be as noticeable. but thanks for all of your responses. unfortunately this project is being put on hold for a week (according to my schedule but im sure i will still model some stuff in the meantime while i work on something else for the week).

thx again everyone. :D

oh yes, and ill definitely do the flicker. probably just for the technical console going around the upper portion of the hologram.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrightey. its almost there. next wednesday it will be done. :D finally.

here's what ive got so far. only thing left to do is texture that one last bit on the floor, the actual floor and ceiling will be done with basic tileable textures, so no worry there. the background will be a skybox.

AstroDefroom11.jpg

AstroDefroom12.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its wednesday (close enough anyway). just did some tweaks to finish up in unreal. ill experiment with particle system tomorrow morning. but ill call this done for now.

DSUnreal1.jpg

DSUnreal2.jpg

DSUnreal3.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    looks great Oniram.

I actually just started playing deadspace, crazy game lol.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Got some jaggies in those shots, you may wanna render at double the resolution then resize them in PS.

Also, where is your light source in the scene? Seems kinda uniform at the moment.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea lighting is really letting the scene down here ;/ no proper light source and its just so flat :( im sure it would be a pretty good pic with a proper light setup :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prolly turn aa on for the screenies too
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice work. Dead Space is one of my favorite games in the genre. I'm a big fan of sci-fi and the architecture and style of that game is amazing. I dont remember if the ceiling in that room is so flat but I think you should do something more to it so its not just flat.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    definitely do a skybox similar to the one in the concept, and along with a super nebulous orangey sky do a lighting scheme that's more focal :) pretty much just make it more like the concept, looks like it has potential, but right now nothing really sticks out and there's no contrast to any of the shots. Also the ceiling and floor have way more detail in the concept and in-game shots that you were using as reference. In yours, the floor and ceiling are purely a tiled texture that's kinda boring. Just cut some geometry into the floor and use a couple trim tiles to put direction on it. Looks good though, comin along :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i was working on the skybox, havent quite figured it out yet. the bloom light shining on the windows is due to the light coming from outsite, which would in turn be the result of the nebulous orange sky. as far as lighting, ive been trying to get a handle on unreal lighting and shadows. still not quite there yet since im a bit new to unreal. i tried to get an even distribution of lights just for the sole purpose of showcasing the room. the shots are from within the playtest part of the editor, which is what caused them to be such low quality.

i am sure that when i understand more about lighting in unreal i will retouch this room, but for now i think i will lay this project to rest, as it was meant more for texturing than anything else. but i appreciate all of the crits and will defeinitely take your comments into consideration