Hello, I thought I'd post my portfolio here

Ryan Dao

Any feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good stuff.

If I had to give one general crit, I would say your texture sheets aren't optimized very well. Also the Kar98 seems a little sloppy.

Cool work though!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how you've got a bunch of actual environments rather than just a selection of unrelated props.

I don't think it's really necessary to separate the team projects and personal work. You did a good job of explaining what parts you worked on, so I don't think anyone will misunderstand that they aren't team projects. By mixing them together you can put all of the complete environments at top of the page and rest lower down. It's those environment thumbnails that will actually get people to click through some of your work, but as it is right now I have to scroll down to see most of the them.

Speaking of which I believe you could shrink your top banner image a bit vertically so that you can get a few more thumbnails fully visible on the initial page load. Or you could get rid of the team and personal sub category links and place the resume link with your phone number and email address.

You should make your resume page display your info right there on the page in addition to having the links for the word and pdf files.

You should also add your name and email to all of your large images so that people can track you down easily.

Overall a good portfolio site it gets the job done, it just needs a few tweaks.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I keep saying this to others as well, if you have a resume page, why not put your resume on it with the links to also download it?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice work, love the Unearthly Challenge stuff the most :)

I feel that the exploded images are too small, increasing the size would probably help the viewer to concentrate more on the subject matter while conveying the message that you are not afraid of fully showcasing your work.
    Agree with dolemite on the textures, they seem to be a bit blurry across the board - even if the quality is there a recruiter probably wouldn't see it as they won't be looking for as long as us.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    Pongo is a tad bit too dark imo, change your lightning so he's visible in all his labyrinthy glory
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    How come I cannot click a next button when viewing your work? I have to close it then open it, close it thee open it, why not allow me to click next so that I can go through then streaming?
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    GCMP wrote: »
    Nice work, love the Unearthly Challenge stuff the most :)

I feel that the exploded images are too small, increasing the size would probably help the viewer to concentrate more on the subject matter while conveying the message that you are not afraid of fully showcasing your work.
    Agree with dolemite on the textures, they seem to be a bit blurry across the board - even if the quality is there a recruiter probably wouldn't see it as they won't be looking for as long as us.

I'm not really sure how to increase the size of lyte box when an image is clicked. I think the size is dependent on screen resolution but I'm not sure.
    Though one can middle mouse click to open the image in a new tab at full res.
    my lytebox script is from here
    http://www.dolem.com/lytebox/
    dolemite wrote: »
    good stuff.

If I had to give one general crit, I would say your texture sheets aren't optimized very well. Also the Kar98 seems a little sloppy.

Cool work though!

For these projects I didn't actually only have one big texture page for my objects, I just combine them for presentation purposes, I'm not sure if this answers your questions or not.
    whats_true wrote: »
    How come I cannot click a next button when viewing your work? I have to close it then open it, close it thee open it, why not allow me to click next so that I can go through then streaming?

Well for me personally I don't like having the next button, idk it's just my personal preference.

thanks all for the the suggestions I will keep them in mind when I update my site.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    I really like your Diablo3 scene, looks pretty close to the real one.

I have one question though (not really related to your portfolio in general)

on this image: http://ryandao.com/Images/Watchtower_zbrush.jpg

are those meshes seamless? and if yes, how can you sculpt seamless pieces in Zbrush? did you use the offset technique in 2.5D, or can you sculpt them seamless in 3D?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    everything looks great, but why here on this object normal map green channel is inverted, is that special?
    RootBeer_Statue.jpg
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I know it's a small thing, but it flagged me. You have your Unreal material setups in your Venice Scene labeled as Kismet 1, 2, and 3 when they should probably be labeled as UT Materials or something of the sort. Other than, that I'm liking the Venice scene as it shows the benefit of the modularity that I'm a fan of.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    elementrix wrote: »
    I really like your Diablo3 scene, looks pretty close to the real one.

I have one question though (not really related to your portfolio in general)

on this image: http://ryandao.com/Images/Watchtower_zbrush.jpg

are those meshes seamless? and if yes, how can you sculpt seamless pieces in Zbrush? did you use the offset technique in 2.5D, or can you sculpt them seamless in 3D?

It's quite simple really. I start off with a plane and I go to the brush tab and set the wrap mode to anything above 0.

If it is set to 1 and lets say i make a stroke to the right, if i keep going it will continue tot he left side so it becomes seamless.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you so much!
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Got a pretty solid portfolio there. As selfish as it might sound, don't link other artist's websites on your website. People that are looking to hire might go to your friend's site and never go back to yours.