Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - Steve Nephew

Hi guys, been working on my site more as of recent. I made it w/ dreamweaver, sorry if its a bit lack luster to look at. I'm still looking into some templates or color schemes i can go w/ but am a bit swamped w/ other stuff in life!

http://stevenephew.com/

Questions I'd like to ask for when you look at my site:

what do i put on the first page? lol I thought it would be weird to go to a site and go straight into the models section so i made a main page.. and i have nothing on it lol.

do you like the layout/colors/style? I pretty much just put it together in photoshop and then straight into dreamweaver. part of me likes it but then again like I said before it just seems... boring

Any and all crits are welcome, this site is still a WIP whenever i can get around to it. Thanks in advance!

PS: yes I'm still fillin in all those white boxes w/ models!

Replies

• PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should show off a few high poly, complex models since that's what seems to get people gawking most.

Try showing some diffuse and normal maps too if you can. Textures are just as important, if not more important, than the models themselves... (well they seem to bottleneck more!)
  • NAILMASK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAILMASK polycounter lvl 10
    For some reason environment/prop artists tend to be drawn more towards cooler gray colors in their presentation media. I prefer warmer grays/browns to show my work off. In my opinion warmer colors are a bit more inviting to the viewer. Not that it matters too much, if you have kickass work your going to get the job. You certainly don't want the site to outshine your work.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your front page going straight into your gallery as long as it looks professional and your work is nice but if you choose to have a front page put your best work up.

Some crits:

Your font for the contact at the bottom left is killing my eyes with the contrasty white stroke around the words. It might be good to use something more simple for this.

This might just be my personal opinion but your logo looks a bit unprofessional. Seems like it would fit better on a cartoon artist site.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I think going straight to your work is a very good idea! I'm sure employers want to see your work fast, just cause they have to see so many portfolios in one day.

I personally don't see anything wrong with your site, artistic wise. Could it be better... sure, but imo, its fine. :) I would just continue with making great art!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    you have the worst logo i've ever seen, it's awesome
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    No need for a 'front page' just go right into artwork. Get rid of the empty spots on your 3d page it just shows lack of work to fill your portfolio rather then empty slots for new work. Why not show me the resume instead of making me download it just to view it. Need to finish more models to completion.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it is/ has:
    - gray
    - bold lines (3+ pixels ?)
    - stretched icons (see pdf icon)

possible improvements
    - UV & texture skills
    - presentation skills (light, shader, rendering/ engine)
    - optimizing poly flow (topology, keeping it low poly (budget))
    - more software skills, just knowing 3dsmax is a bit low. Maybe check out some more specialized tools. Many artists these days usually have 2 or 3 legs into different aspects of game or CG art.

to do's imo.
    - scrap home or welcome page - go right away to the art
    - delete empty slots
    - make the design less bold and more passive (to thick lines + to many fancy ugly effects such as outline), show that your content comes before your webdesign
    - leave out company logos of file types such as word or PDF, just write the words down and link to them if you need to

PS.: simplicity for portfolios is always king, try to reduce as much as possible and it will be much more easy and comfortable to watch/ read the portfolio.