Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: PieJesu

Been lurking for a while and, now I feel like contributing.

-snipped-

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You cannot draw... yet! But I think you will get better! Your lines are loose and scrawl like, try and reign em in and get solid regular lines. The last drawing is your best! It shows a move to more focused lines, and good perspective btw!

This tip is thrown out alot but it bears repeating. DONT draw in a manga style untill you get a good hang of more realistic drawing/scale/anatomy.

This isn't to slam manga or anything, but all the best looking anime is well proportioned and realistic first, exaggerated second.

DO draw from references! Theres a great book I can't remember the name of right now, about getting into the frame of mind of drawing, that talks about the differences between drawing symbols and drawing whats really there. When you draw symbols your moving your hand from memory of the shapes you already know, and your going to make alot of the same mistakes over and over... as opposed to... Draw what you can see! Copy real life, other artists and references. I don't know if that paragraph made sense.

aaaall this said, I'm not a fantasic artist and theres alot of pros here who have better tips. Anyone else?

Great anatomy book, free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/334333/Constructive-Anatomy
  • Evil Krisp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with you on all points fearian. also your attempt at a fancy signature ruins the composition of the whole piece. just a small signature in the lower right hand corner will do.
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the advice. I do really need to work on my lines and I completely agree with your comments on manga, proportion and the likes.

I'm slightly away from drawing with references but I guess it's highly beneficial to do so, getting proportions correct and whatnot.

The problem I'm having is that, I work with my wrists rather than my arms and, there's only so far I can go before I've got to leave the pad, move my arm and draw again. I guess that's my fault.

Should I work towards using arm movements instead?

And yeah... Your comments on sigs is good. Too much is too much eh.

I'll post the piece I'm working on at the moment and I'd like your opinion on them too.
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is. I don't know whether it needs more work though.

concept3.pngconcept3.1.png

I think I need thinner lines. Looks too chunky?

I had some text in the bottom left but it was too clean for the rest of the image and just looked out of place! Any advice on that?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks like a mailbox from the front. might want to play with the silhouette a bit. also looks a bit boxy/clunky from the FPS perspective
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye. Need a more extravagant design.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    It may be faster concepting this directly in 3d for the big shapes.
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found how I was unable to draw straight lines. My tablet has the wrong proportions to my monitor D:

I manually configured the proportions, adjusted the sensitivity levels and now, holy smokes it's perfect!

Damn I needed to configure this thing for so long!