Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pavilion

I started work on recreating a pavillion that’s at one of my relative’s house. Recreating it in 3D has been very simple thus far. The structure itself is nearly finished–just a few small touches left. After that, it’s all props (which there are a lot of, by the way).

This is intended to be a modeling test for me–I don’t plan on texturing any of it right now. I’m much more interested nailing it down geometry-wise. Below are a few renders and one reference photo. I took around 40 reference pictures.

So far, it’s [edit]~3700 triangles[/edit] (not including the ground, of course). For the completed scene, I want to keep it under 8k, 10k max triangles.

Newest Image:
TEHRENDER.png

43971_4a7b5acf5da57.png

Comments and crit appreciated.

~Syn

Replies

• Synoryth
    Also some viewports and a wire.

wire3.png
    wire2.png
    wire1.png
    wire4.png
  • Synoryth
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Might as well texture it while you are at it. It's good practice, and then you can use it in your portfolio. Solid modeling so far, only crit from me is to uneven some of it a little, having all perfect right angles is boring. Give it some slight variation.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    An idea for your pedestal make it like a ground slice that has been lifted up... with grass/dirt/stones/roots/pipes.

But solid modeling just need more more more!

PS. if you up your rays/sample: in lighttracer, you will get rid of those artifacting. maybe double them as a starting point
  • Synoryth
    Thanks for the crit guys, I'll take it all into consideration. The thing is though that I'm not a very good texture artist. If I textured it, I bet it'd somehow look worse. ;) I'd up the samples, but the render time is already about 3 minutes, and I like to churn out renders just about every time I add something. When I up the samples so that the artifacting is minimal, it jumps up to about 8 minutes/render. That's a bit ridiculous. I could probably just do fast renders while I'm working, then up the samples to show to the public.
  • Ben Apuna
    Looks like a good modeling exercise, just keep hammering away at it.
    Synoryth wrote: »
    ... The thing is though that I'm not a very good texture artist. If I textured it, I bet it'd somehow look worse. ;) ...

All the more reason to get some practice texturing so you can get better at it. Finish modeling everything first though, then go back and do a texture pass that way everything is consistent.

Maybe consider only doing full renders once everything is added in, it's sort of a waste of time to render for each object addition. Viewport grabs are good enough for WIP shots. All those minutes spent rendering could be better spent modeling or texturing.
  • Synoryth
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    All the more reason to get some practice texturing so you can get better at it. Finish modeling everything first though, then go back and do a texture pass that way everything is consistent.

Maybe consider only doing full renders once everything is added in, it's sort of a waste of time to render for each object addition. Viewport grabs are good enough for WIP shots. All those minutes spent rendering could be better spent modeling or texturing.

Well, it's a pretty simple texture job for the building, so I might as well. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the compliments. :)
  • MatthewS
    Alright, so far you've been doing a good job, however I see one thing that could save you a ton of tris. In your supports you have multiple boards in the same element forcing you to cut across the perpendicular beams and tripling the number of tris in that beam. If you detach them and get rid of the extra edges you will save over 500 tris which can then be used for other objects.

Also it looks like you have a piece of plywood or something going through one of the rafters. is there actually a board there in the reference?

Paintover using a mouse-_-wire3.png

Red squiggles show some of the edges that can be removed by using seperate elements.
  • Synoryth
    Update. I was experimenting with lighting, rendering (specifically the light tracer), and textures. I've changed my mind, I'm planning to texture at least the building itself, not sure about all the props that are to come. Upped rays/sample to 500, 1 bounce, and changed atmosphere color for a warmer scene. Took around 24 minutes to render.

43971_4a7ad2a86db93.png
  • AshleyTayles
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good Syn, I think 24 mins is a little extreme, I think it was alright at 250 rays. Looks great though! I think the dartboard may be a little too thick. In my experience they tend to be thinner.
  • Synoryth
    Yeah, just noticed that, thanks for the crit, Ash! Because this image is so close to the wall, I had to up the rays/sample to get rid of the artifacts.
  • Synoryth
    MatthewS wrote: »
    Alright, so far you've been doing a good job, however I see one thing that could save you a ton of tris. In your supports you have multiple boards in the same element forcing you to cut across the perpendicular beams and tripling the number of tris in that beam. If you detach them and get rid of the extra edges you will save over 500 tris which can then be used for other objects.

Also it looks like you have a piece of plywood or something going through one of the rafters. is there actually a board there in the reference?

Hey, sorry I didn't reply before but it looks like you were on post approval. I've fixed the issue with the plywood going to the rafters, I noticed that right after I posted the render :). As for the wasted polygons, I noticed it before but was busy so I couldn't fix it right then and there, but now that you reminded me I'll be sure to fix it. Thanks!

^^ New render in first post ^^

~Syn
  • Rokkx
    I'd spend a little more tri's rounding out that dart board good sir :]
  • Synoryth
    Rokkx wrote: »
    I'd spend a little more tri's rounding out that dart board good sir :]

Thanks for the crit, Rokkx. My reference actually has it as a square dartboard with painted-on lines and such. I think I'll go with that to conserve on tris.