Home Technical Talk

got me a test build of the new blender

It is veeeery slick, no more fumbling around with a giant forest of buttons, customizable hotkeys, new animation and UI make everything so KICK ASS.

picture-5.png

wondering where I got it? Check out blendernation.com

Replies

• Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Nice to hear you like it ;) However the best place to get Blender testing builds is http://www.graphicall.org .

BTW, there is already a Blender 2.5 thread here, a few pages back.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61148
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    "customizable hotkeys", now thats talking. How do you do that ? I downloaded the latest svn and experimental build from graphicall, i can't get this feature working

I can't learn blender with its current hotkey setup, i'm feeling like i'm modeling backward...
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Click on that window type selector thingy in the left corner of any header and change it to Outliner. Change All Scenes to Key Maps. I have no idea why they'd put it there.

An interesting thing to note is that you can now bring up a console and see the previous actions that you did. That, combined with the Python code for every button when you move over it should be very nice for script writers.

The interface doesn't make a whole lot of sense (yet?), you've got to scroll sideways to see all the tabs it has and the buttons are so wide that a bottom-bar is now unfeasible. Texture/Material system is much nicer now, though, and that's something I've been complaining about for ages.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaah nice, i can finally reassign a more "standard" setup (maya-like navigation i could kill for you :) )
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    How customisable is it? Like Silo? I love silo but want modifiers and deformers so am looking at moving back to Blender, if it can be setup almost identical to Silo that would be shweet.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say it has the potential of a silo customisation, but you can't track the commands back from their shortcuts (yet), making the right command to reassign almost impossible to find.

But when this get final, i will probably take a good look at blender, i already find some nice features, its just a question of making your own blend :)
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Click on that window type selector thingy in the left corner of any header and change it to Outliner. Change All Scenes to Key Maps. I have no idea why they'd put it there.
    2.5 is still a work in progress and should be seen as such. Things are missing, things are hard to access and similar. The reason hotkeys are in the outliner is because that's the main place to access any current functionality (you are actually accessing the underlaying DNA / RNA thingy that controls everything in the new Blender). Eventually things will get their own proper place in the UI.
    How customisable is it? Like Silo? I love silo but want modifiers and deformers so am looking at moving back to Blender, if it can be setup almost identical to Silo that would be shweet.
    The idea is to make things as customizable as possible, this includes custom keys, custom mouse setup and custom UI layout. Some of the UI will be possible to customize through Blender, for example window layout, colours or an empty panel in the 3d view where you can put all your favourite tools. For more advanced stuff, python can be used to define window types, panels, buttons and more.