Home Technical Talk

Max Material Editor FAIL

So everytime I try and load a texture in max 2009 it just freezes, I go to the task manager and it still thinks max is running, but it is definately frozen. So I tried repairing it, reinstalling it, and updating my graphics drivers but nothing works. What gets me is that everything worked fine a week ago and then it just randomly went to crap. HELP ME PLEASE

Comp Specs:
AMD Phenom 9150e Quad core 1.8GHz
6 GB of RAM
Vista home premium 64bit
Nvidia Geforce 9800 gtx

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Could it have something to do with the actual place the file is stored? XSI has issues loading images from directories that aren't on the same harddrive as the installation. Not that XSI and 3DS are anywhere near the same, but just try and reorganize some of the sourced files and see what happens.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    try to re-save the image to a different file format, different size, different bit depth. But I assume you mean any texture.

maybe try to drag a texture into the viewport on a object - which should by default generate a default material with a difuse texture of that image.
    Maybe its also just like Seaseme suggested and you are trying to assign textures from network drives that don't work well in max,- try loading images from local drives.

can you at least view or preview images within 3dsmax ? - maybe its an internal problem. Try to assign a background image in a viewport (alt + b) and browse for an image. Do you see the preview image in that dialog?
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya all my images are on the same harddrive as max, but I dont even get to the point where I can select a texture. I click on the box that brings up the browser and the computer thinks for a second and then freezes without even opening the file browser. I tried dragging a material from a folder into a diffuse and spec slot and that works, but the only problem is I don't have access to the normal map composite material for my bump slot.