Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercenary (WIP)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hello Polycounters,

Here´s my latest WIP I started about 13 days ago. Right now I´m in final phase - texturing, although some parts are still missing from the original concept for Mercenaries 2 and there will also be some minor changes done on the sculpture (or in PS using xnormal plugin) later for finalizing the normal map. But I just wanted to share it and maybe get some texturing tips and advices.

xport-mercenary-sculpting.jpg
I wanted to present the sculpting a little better, but it´s waaaay too hipoly for my machine to merge it together.

xport-mercenary-wip-01-11.jpg

xport-mercenary-wip-01-2.jpg

Comments, crits and advices are welcome. I also have bunch of other wip sculptings I´d like to throw into whole characters, so expect some major update soon. Cheers!

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    EDIT: (Sorry I didn't see your note about the textures being work in progress i'll hold back my comment until you get them done)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    overall it looks good. Couple things. I think the color map should be desaturated a bit, mostly the flak jacket and leather strap and bags. Also, there is a visible texture seam on the right side of this face. Also, the pants under the kneepad on the inside of the leg is puffed out a little too much I think, but changing that not necessary if you don't feel like moving geometry.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    jocose - it´s ok. I don´t mind any comment regarding anything you think that should be improved. I was reading your post a while before I was going to bed and if I remember that right you were mentioning that there was something weird about the eyes. It actually helped me to realize that the specular map I had attached to the model was just modified diffuse, but at the time I made the specular I didn´t have the iris in the diffuse, therefore the eyes were that weird from some angles. So thanks for comment and do not hesitate to leave another if you think that there still could be something I could have missed.

P442 - Thank you for your comment. I desaturated the color map and it really helped (well, at least I think and hope it looks far better now). I´m especially glad I got rid of that pearl-coloured feeling. As for the seams, I wasn´t caring that much about seams yet as many areas around the seams will be changed, but I sure will check the geometry as you mentioned, could use a little tweaking around the kneepad. Thanks again.

Time for update:

I was working only on the diffuse map. Just few moments before the screenshot was taken I also started working on the face a little more, using some photos. I was also thinking about leaving the head for another texture, 512x512 maybe, but now I think it should look quite good even with this smaller uv space:

xport-mercenary-wip-02-1.jpg

Still wip, nothing final so I still didn´t paint-over the seams. Comments and crits are welcome.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Staring to look good, dont know why this guy reminds me of some of the special force soldiers in Resident Evil 4. What I found interesting is the grey vest overlapping the bulletproof vest, is that kevlar too?dont think Ive seen its kind before.
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice. I think the skin needs more work tbh, looks just like a plain color. Give him lighter colored palms. Give him some arm and facial hair.

Also the link things on his back are too bright.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    everything is lacking in grit and hard specular highlights.

Sculpt kicks ass though.