Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MMORPG Spaceships

Hey polycount,

I've made this thread on which where I will be posting the models I'm making for a mmorpg project. The game is space based and what we are aiming for is something similar to EVE online.

So the first thing I have made is this cargo pod, which is for supplies, goods and equipment. It's not that large. The pod is for a ship that can have 3-8 crew. As you can see from the screenies there is a keypad on each door where the person will be able to access and open the large doors. The indents in the sides are for clamps that will be able to holster it next to the ship, one on each side. Mainly just the center 4 indents.

I'm up to the texturing stage and baked out a normal map from a hp. Everything was going fine until I decided to start on the diffuse. I have no idea where to start with the diffuse and what kind of style the textures should be. I would like it somewhat similar to eve online's textures although it is hard for me to replicate. The reason being why is that when I look at EVE online stuff the ships are HUGE and comparing that to my little cargo pod, texture wise I don't know what to do.

I'm not that good at sci-fi texturing because I've never done it before. Some of the parts on top are just random bits and peices. If you guys could guide and help me get on the right track with a start that would be great. I don't know what kind of colors, style I should use. Mostly when I look at space concepts the texture is very basic and plain. I was thinking maye some dark brown orange rusted color for the door. Not too sure on the panels and other stuff on it.

1e4bns.jpg
4zubli.jpg
2daxi74.jpg

If you could help me get started that would be great. I'm no good with spaceships, but by the time I have finished this thread I hope that I will be much better at it than I am now.

Anything appreciated

Replies

• L3XICON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice looking normal bake :D great stuff. for the pod itself, if its going to be seen seperate from the ship you might want to consider some tweaks to its basic form, cargo pods I guess should be basic but in silhouette this could use a little more interest.

as for the diffuse, a good starting point would be to decide on an overall 'feel' for the spaceships. are they going to be bare metal, are they going to be old and battle damaged, are they painted or plastic. Also. is the feel going to be ultra realism, or maybe more styalised... from there you can start gathering ref for that kind of material, and have a good starting point on the diffuse.

good luck :D looking forward to seeing some more spaceship designs!
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,
    Decided to go with a bare metal realistic type look. I think I've nailed the metal for the diffuse for now, the spec needs a lot more work but I'm only about an hour into progress.
    I'm still finding it difficult to break up the color because right now its gray all over.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    2rpwgmf.jpg
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perhaps some acid etched looking block designs (barcodes etc.)would look cool in the specular map if you're going for a hyper futuristic look. if you paint in on either the diffuse or the specular with well placed, large, solid blocked designs spanning across all the complex shapes you modeled that would look good as well and would give the eye an alternate path to travel along that reads well at a distance as the finer details would begin to dissapear.
    the second option would help make the cargo pod looks more visually dynamic at both distances and insure that from afar it doesnt just read as a rectangle with small jittery details in it.
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks doom, Although I'm not really sure how I should paint the etching. I tried a motion blur method where I erased some of it with a custom brush. I'll keep experimenting. Here's a bit more work, I've done the outer doors although it doesn't seem to look like what I am aiming for. For the doors I was aiming for something like this:

http://dark-maggot.deviantart.com/art/Sci-Fi-Door-127837122

2m2ffaw.jpg
    10zsfh1.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    It looks like your main metal texture is pretty grayscale. Throw some subtle colors in there, like some reds, oranges, and blues. The scratches are looking good. Also, maybe some caution stickers, or labels of some kind. Here is some inspiration for you http://tyler.brenot.ca/pfp/sf-crate.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Your base metal looks really good imo.. how did you make it? Did you follow any tutorials?

Can we see the UV's for this too?
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jet
    Basically layed out some galvanized metal textures on a very low opacity on some bare Grey, then upped it more on the specular. Scratches were the same, low opacity brush, either racer's brush or a 1px with some adjusted scattering.

Pretty much finished the Pod, Using viewport shader for this one.

2bef5y.jpg

Now working on the cargo ship. Still pretty early, although I like how it looks so far.
    kbwow6.jpg
    2qspe0k.jpg
    Cargo will go along side that front area, possibly 3 on each side, so the pods will be quite small.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Acid, lovin the scifi crate got some really nice details in there. Im not the best texture artist either but I found this great tutorial specifically related to texturing hard surfaces like metal and such, really helped me out alot.

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    hey man! I feel like your red stripes are a tad bit too evenly grunged up, and feel in a way like they are floating. Maybe some scratches within the paint and if you can pull it off, primer! Here's a decent example http://mayang.com/textures/Metal/images/Flat%20Metal%20Textures/metal_scratches_and_impacts_4131545.JPG

And yea, Logan's link is an amazing tutorial.
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the advice. Changes have been made.

Now an update on the cargoship. TBH, I Hate how it looks. It's not finished but the metal I was trying to achieve didn't turn out so well. Could anybody help me out with this one, it's hard to find some good sci fi refs for metal.
    Also the color is just bland and brown. Looks really weird when I add some hints of blue. Right now the spec just has the diff plugged in.

Especially I am struggling with getting a proper base for the areas that don't have any props and what not sticking out.

xpdb0z.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    why not make it a darker metal for the base and then all the panels are lighter metal so they stand out more? looks pretty good so far anyway.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Really like what you've got going here. Some suggestions

- Cargopod,

Maybe a company logo emblazoned on the sides? Look at containers, they very often have the logistics company name in big letters, why would the future be different? Doesn't have to be a name, could be a cool looking logo.

Personally I'm not fond of the rounded light things on the sides but the small ones are a good idea. Maybe slightly smaller and on the bottom as well so they could work as warning/navigation lights, in case they would be free floating?

The red lines doesn't really work for me, they look like they're there because you couldn't think of anything else to put in. I think a big logo would be enough, I really liked the plain grey even. Barcodes is another good suggestion, as well as some sort of shipping text sprayed on. Again, look at containers, they have all kinds of weird numbers on the doors.

A slight reflection map might help liven it up too btw. Doesn't have to be strong, just a soft soft blurry reflection of stars, suns and nebulae :)

-Cargoship

Really like where this is going. Maybe do a small detail normalmap with some greebly bits, like tubes and blocks and whatnot that you can use in places?

For big empty space, maybe add a logo, same as on the cargopod to show that they are the same company or you could have a separate one if the ship carries cargo for different companies.

Some small windows here and there to add some glowy bits (that make sense... sort of)?

Antennas?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    So you got a lot of very boxy shapes. how do they read when you get some distance away from them? im guessing kinda boxy :)

I think you could try and add some protruding/extruding stuff to get a more interesting silhouette.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    to the cargoship:

The overall design works for me and has potential, but:

• The ship can't communicate it's size. At the moment I absolutely have no clue how big this thing is. It could be a small transport ship as well as one of the biggest things ever built by mankind. You need elements which suggest the size of you ship. As texturing is not finished I guess you will add some windows here and there and where the brigge is located but I think this wont be enough. As a frighter usually can't have thousands of windows (or doesn't need them) you should find other things: Here are some examples which might improve the model:
    • A giant loading bay (on the side or top or bottom) (how will you load this freighter at the moment anyway?)
    • Add Areas of Finer Detail: The engines the bridge-Tower, the Front, the Bottom, this will give a feel of size and nice effects
    • Escapepods for th crew.
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged
    Thanks sure made it stand out more.

@urgaffel

Great idea about a reflection map, never tried one but looking at games like sins empire it looks really good. The round glowy bits you were talking about are actually windows. The size of the crate only holds goods of small weapons and supplies. Thanks for the crit!

@motives
    Actually while I was making this I had a fairly good study of the silhouette and it wasn't too bad. I guess It will be more noticeable when the light source is on the other side, showing the edges a little better.

@Slave_zero
    I definitely agree with you about the size, I'm hoping that with the cargo pods next to it and windows textured on the cockpit/command, the player will be able to see or imagine the size. As for loading bay, I'm attempting to make some extending arms that go along the top of the ship and attach to the cargopod. Cheers for helpful crit.

The ships are not meant to be too detailed. The ships won't be noticed up close ever, The game is similar to EVE online and ships will be viewed from afar unless your flying it. The ship is meant to have 5-10 crew, it's not large and it is a minor ship within the game.

Some progress on the texture, Still haven't done a spec map or textured the command.

2dquexd.jpg
    k4ti6t.jpg
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done, Redoing the thrusters. Finished the cockpit area, hopefully scaling looks a bit more obvious now. Will most likely be more obvious when I get the cargo along side it. Removed the scrapes because it did not seem logical, although now it doesn't pop as much.

2u9mu61.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    For some reason I don't like the red. Maybe because it feels too saturated or it just clashes a bit with the blue/grey scheme :s Other than that, looking good. Now slap some cargo pods on that thing :) Also, some more antennas would be nice but then again I'm a sucker for clusters of thing antennas etc... They don't make sense really ^^