Home Technical Talk

Modeling Help needed

Hi guys ,

im new to this forum , some intro about me , im a student currently studying in polytechnic and now working on my final year project . And im modeling characters for my cinematic and i need some help. How do you model the type of style star wars the clone wars 3d animated do? If there is a tutorial its also good.file-ahsokahs1.jpg

Replies

• Wizardflame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone Able to help me?
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would also suggest it will depend what you're modelling in. If it's Maya/Max/XSI etc. then you'd be using sub-d I guess, and either creasing or placing bevels/edgeloops in those areas where she has the sharp lines like the nose, clavicle and shoulders. If you're working in ZBrush then it's a totally different process and pinch, flatten and damStandard brushes are your friends!

The look is more about the design style and proportions plus textures than a modelling technique- if you look at the various character designs they are a natural extension of the Gendy Tartovsky 2D versions, with an emphasis on juxtaposing sharp lines with organic curves in a kind of art deco way, and propotionally are similar to the work of Ben Caldwell (google ACTION CARTOONING) and maybe Stephen Silver (google SILVERTOONS). The textures have a deliberately "painterly" feel, and some look almost like they are pastel work, so painter or photoshop and the natural media brush effects will help recreate this. Note that the models have a lot of drawn on textural detail that doesn't appear to be displaced, modelled or even applied as bump maps- look at the Jabba skin design for an example of this, or Count Dooku's eye and brow shading. This is what makes me think they probably aren't ZBrush sculpts but Maya sub-d modelled. But hey, what do I know ? :)

Good luck capturing the look, but I would suggest that you concentrated on defining the style elements as I have touched on to figure this out rather than looking for a "pipeline" that will arrive at the look- I suspect that it doesn't exist!!

~P~