Home Technical Talk

PLugin tut?

Hey all,
I have tried to put plugins in Max for months but I cant figure it out. So far all I get it "Put the plugin in the max folder" I need to Know where that folder is and where to put the plug, also When my max boots it says Failed to initialize missing dll. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    try to be more concrete,

what plugin (from where) ?

in addition to that:
    did you made sure that your max version is compatible with the plugin? - some need a certain version of max in order to run because of DLL's and such.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the plugin in particular is supergrass. I pretty sure I dloaded the 32 bit because there wasnt a 64 bit option and thats what I run. In any case I get htis popup about s-grass everytime I open max.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    http://www.antiflash.net/supergrass/download.html
    within the official help file it says: (in the download zip)
    Option 1:

Copy the file called grass.dlo either in a dedicated directory and add the directory in
    your 3rd Party Plug-Ins. By adding the directory via Customize->Configure User Path->3rd Party Plug-Ins

Option 2:

Copy the file called grass.dlo in your Max-Installationplugins directory for example

c:Program FilesAutodesk3dMax8PlugIns

II. Mental ray shaders

Copy the file called grass_shader.mi in the Mental ray shaders autoload include directory. You will find
    this directory in your 3D Studio Max installation directory under mental ray, for example

C:Program FilesAutodesk3dMax8Mentalrayshaders_autoloadinclude

Copy the file called grass_shader.dll in the Mental ray shaders autoload shaders directory. You will find
    this directory in your 3D Studio Max installation directory under mental ray, for example

C:Program FilesAutodesk3dMax8Mentalrayshaders_autoloadshaders

If you have successfully completed the steps you are now ready to run Super Grass and the Super Grass Mental
    Ray shader from your copy of Max. To verify that the Super Grass Plug-In has been loaded you can go to
    Plug-In Manager of 3D Studio Max and check for the grass.dlo. You can find the Plug-In Manager under
    Customize->Plug-In Manager
    did you read that?

so to me it reads like this:

copy the "grass.dlo" into your 3dsmaxFolder/plugins
    i.e
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\plugins
    and follow the rest of the instructions

edit: btw. hair and fur (max9+ I believe) is more powerful as that plugin and comes with max. With that modifier you can instantiate mesh instances as well while controlling the fur (or grass) with noise, physics and comb tools.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I would stick to the Hair/Fur modifier for grass, thatched roof and of course hair and fur.

You could also try painting instanced geometry with scripts like Niel Blevins (SoulBurn) object painter script for a lower poly approach.

And your signature is really distracting. Big wall of white text... gah is this 4Chan?