Home Technical Talk

How do I do these UVs? Ancient Roman Scales model

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I'm working on a cartoon-ish Ancient Roman general's office. At the moment I'm making a set of measuring scales, but I'm having trouble with doing the proper UV layout. I've attached pics of both the model and the UVs. I'm using Maya and the Automatic mapping for creating the UVs and then I just sew the edges together. I've also got UVs overlapping as well. I've cut some of it in half so I can just mirror it over.

Does it look like I'm taking the right approach?

http://a.imagehost.org/view/0760/UVs2

http://h.imagehost.org/view/0311/scene

cheers.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks alright to me. What resolution texture were you planning on applying? 1024 seems a bit large for a small prop like this.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    At the moment I'm doing the texture at 2048 x 2048, but I'll drop it down later. I know 1024 is a bit big for something like this. I'd probably do it at 512 or 256. The thing about this scene is its not exactly for game art practice. I'm trying to keep it low as if it were for a game - so I can get into the habit more - but really I've got no limits on this one.

MoP, what do you think would be the normal rez for a prop like this? 512?

cheers.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Doesn't look that big, I'd say a 128^2 or 128x256.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it really depends what it's for, and how close the player is meant to get :)
    I certainly wouldn't go above 512x512. But you can do whatever you want. Personally I think a 128x128 might look a bit low-res, a 256x256 would probably be pretty crisp. You could author at 512 and half-res it in the end, see how it looks.