Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Duke Nukem Hollywood Holocaust reimagining

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
G'day,

A mate of mine and I have been working on and off to make a fan-map of Duke Nukem 3D's first level Hollywood Holocaust in the HL2: DM Source engine. It's been a long time in the making but we decided to make a video of where it is at so far. We are so close to getting it done.

We stayed pretty faithful to the layout and design but added our own twist on gameplay.

For some reason youtube has made the video look darker, sorry bout that. Youtube's white background doesn't help with that.

Hope you like it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnLZCY4e_L0[/ame]

it's Done and ready to download:
http://www.fileplanet.com/203255/200...ust-Reimagined

Replies

• iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iamtravis316 polycounter lvl 11
    haha that's awesome, I love duke nukem, yall did a good job on the maps, it brings back good memories :)
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Travis said, good memories...

Looks good, and I loved the last seconds!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    dont have time to play with myself!
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments all :)

I made a quick video to show all of the custom assets that were made for the map. We tried to make every single prop work ingame. So taps turn on, toilets flush, hand-dryers blow.... air.., gas cylinders fly off and explode.

Unfortunately we discovered Source's limitations and had to dial it down a bit.

ANYWAY!, the video!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTLRBIAzss[/ame]
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Brings back good memories. Awesome dude, fucking rocks!
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys,

If anyone wants to play it, it is now available to download here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/203255/200000/fileinfo/Duke-Nukem-3D---Hollywood-Holocaust-Reimagined

All you need is Half-life 2 Deathmatch and the map. The instructions are included in the file. Hope you like it. The two of us had fun making it.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Critiques and nitpicks:
    - Arcade door opening smoke too opaque/white? It's blinding when opened, and appears like a flash. Considering how dark the level is, it could damage eyes.
    - On the way up the vent from the bathroom I managed to accidentally clip myself out of the level. This is bad since it makes me stuck to no return.
    - The jump to get on top of the projector for the RPG is near impossible to attempt, but there's probably no way around this considering how slow and clunky HL2 is.
    - There is a sparse amount of weapons and ammo in a seemingly big map.
    - Bathroom toilet doors are stuck?
    - The ratings system for the list of movies is Australian classifications, when this is a Los Angeles map where MPAA ratings are enforced. you might want to fix that lol
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to all who downloaded and played the map :) We are getting some great feedback.

Leilei: Thanks for reporting the out of world clip. I had done it before but couldn't reproduce it.

You can jump on the projector when it is on and you crouch jump up the projector reel. The toilet doors aren't like the other doors in the level. We felt that it worked better to be able to push them open with physics. Even use them as a weapon. The only issue with this is we had to make them heavy because the gravgun could pick it up. Even when you SPECIFICALLY set it not to. I have a feeling that the Hinge constraint wasn't made for Deathmatch.

We used to have a lot of weapons scattered around while we were testing and we found that we could easily grab the most powerful weapons and exploit it. We had 5 player lans and one guy whored the Magnum all the time, and as soon as he died, he went straight to it and then bang you're dead. He was good with it, too good!.

The map is riddled with traps and other ways to kill your opponent which I guess isn't 100% clear when you first play but its awesome when you find it and use against someone who didn't know :). For example, the shotgun is located in the freezer near the candy bar but there is a door lock that turns the freezer on and traps the person in there, killing them slowly.

There a few more that I won't give away. But thanks for trying out the map and I'm working on getting a fix for those things you mentioned.

We are loving the feedback, please keep em coming!

Cheers :)