Home Technical Talk

Max is only using 1/8th of my i7

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys.

I have a bit of a problem and man it has been bugging me. So i have an i7 in my comp with a good amount of ram.

Stupidly ive got 32bit vista but ill be putting 64 bit on the weekend so that i stop wasting half my ram... But anyways i dont think that is the problem.

When ever i do anything in max that isnt rendering it only uses one of the 8 threads of the processor. Now it isnt horrible to work with, but when you open the curve editor and the whole thing drags to a stand still, yet only is using 13% of my cpu well that is fucstrating as all hell.

Prob should mention that i have a gtx260 gfx card, and 6 gigs ram (but because of 32 bit half is being wasted...) and im using max 2009.

Is there any solution that you can think of, is it because im an idiot and im on 32 bit, or is it something i just have to live with?

Replies

• D. Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a Max expert but this sounds normal to me.

You're not going to get massive parallel multithreading in the UI of most programs.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Muzz wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I have a bit of a problem and man it has been bugging me. So i have an i7 in my comp with a good amount of ram.

Stupidly ive got 32bit vista but ill be putting 64 bit on the weekend so that i stop wasting half my ram... But anyways i dont think that is the problem.

When ever i do anything in max that isnt rendering it only uses one of the 8 threads of the processor. Now it isnt horrible to work with, but when you open the curve editor and the whole thing drags to a stand still, yet only is using 13% of my cpu well that is fucstrating as all hell.

Prob should mention that i have a gtx260 gfx card, and 6 gigs ram (but because of 32 bit half is being wasted...) and im using max 2009.

Is there any solution that you can think of, is it because im an idiot and im on 32 bit, or is it something i just have to live with?

Well one thing that your not going to make use of is your 64-bit chip in a 32-bit OS. Also to get the true performance of your 64-bit chip your also going to need to use the 64-bit version of the program.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Above,

You will benfit from these 8 (4) cores during rendering.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Yeah Max will only use one thread. I don't think there is a way to change this.

For the Curve Editor, turn on the Selected and Animated Filters. And deselect objects before you hit the play button. As an animator I deal with this all day, really annoying.

Just for fun, I checked out Blender, and low and behold it uses more than one thread when I hit the play button! I'm going to add that to the list of reasons why the small art team I work with should switch to Blender. :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I had a feeling that was the case :/

Seems like such a waste...
    Thanks for the replies though.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Muzz wrote: »
    I had a feeling that was the case :/

Seems like such a waste...
    Thanks for the replies though.

Well yes and no...The true waist would be if you could not use all 8 core when you render.