Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mini-enviroment

well its about dawng time that i finally made an account here :3 anyways ill cut to the chase, I started this mini environment a few weeks back working on it a little here and there. so far ive got the low poly and the high baked onto it with an ao, and my low is sitting perdy at 4,700 tris. im still pretty noobish when it comes to high polly modeling so you guyes let me know what needs to be fixed, and ill get on it. anyways, i know its simple but boy im loving how that normal came out on the lamp :3 let me know if you guyes want to see anymore screens, and ima get underway on the diffuse :DNickHamiltonWall.jpg

Replies

• mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome!

This looks really good for the poly count you used.
    I think the loose wires from the pile could just be baked down to the floor.
    The border on the concrete slab looks a bit pixelated and sloppy.
    The cracked area to the left of the wires looks like it's one of the alphas that comes with zbrush, I'd suggest changing it to something a bit more unique, probably with smaller cracks.
    Bake occlusion from your low poly geometry and get texturing!
    Looking forward to seeing this progress. :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Nice man. Really good. How many texture sheets did you use?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    What strikes me about this scene is the potential to have a rediculously small texture size for the smaller assets.

If you got a little tricky with overlapping UV's for those circular shapes; the Tires and the cables, you could have a super small texture sheet by overlapping 'em and having a second UV for the shadow map, which i'm assuming you might have already done, can't tell at this point ;).

Not much i can really critique, i love the scene for its low poly quality. I would definitely champfer the edge of the ground a little bit though. You've got a really hard 90% angle going on. Be kinda nice to see a little bit of cable hanging off the side too. Maybe not a loop as that would spend lots of tris, but just a single strand. Agree with Mlink on the baking of the cables into the ground. You'll also be able to make 'em less jagged in a texture.
    The lamp also looks a little flamboyant for a construction type site. Some pipes shooting out of the rubble below might sell the scene a bit too, or even supporting wires that you see pop out of concrete.

Your tires, wires, and bricks look awesome. Keep it up.
  • torontoanimator
    this is absolutely brilliant dude! i have a question though, the piles of cables, i see you just modelled like a rough pile shape, but did you get the cable looks through the normal map?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice bake!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this to me looks like prop dressed up as an environment, not because of its side but because it doesnt look like the parts would be very re-usable or easily made into components.

apart from that pretty good bake although i would have spent more on the floor esp the broken front
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While i agree this is not very good technique for a game engine, at least it demonstrates baking abilities and a good eye for nice looking props. Of course it would be better do it the proper usable in-game way, i don't think this is worthless in a portfolio, especially once finished to show texturing ability as well.

To me this is the equivalent of a high res sculpted bust in a game artist's portfolio. It wouldnt be usable in a game but still helps demonstrate some important ability.

Definitely would want to not exclusively show this type of "inefficient" prop in a folio though.