Home Technical Talk

Zbrush antialiasing discussion

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
I was just wondering if anyone has tips on making the cleanest looking render possible while still hiding jaggies?...like, catmull-rom quality, but in zbrush.

I've tried the trick of doubling the canvas to later using AA Half but it still just doesn't look as clean as I'd like.

Any tricks I'm missing?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    AAHalf is pretty clean... there are also render antialiasing settings for if you're using the actual renderer rather than the preview renderer.

Also for catmull-rom effects you might as well just do an "unsharp mask" in photoshop afterwards, it's almost the same :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    MoP wrote: »
    AAHalf is pretty clean... there are also render antialiasing settings for if you're using the actual renderer rather than the preview renderer.

Also for catmull-rom effects you might as well just do an "unsharp mask" in photoshop afterwards, it's almost the same :)

yeah I suppose unsharp can work well enough. just not quite inducing the type of boner off of it as I get when catmull-romming it straight out of max. I would just use decimation master but I really like the Zbrush materials for displaying a model.

Have any antialiasing preferences of your own? There is Blur, Edge, Size, and Super Sample. Or do you just leave them as their defaults of 100, 25, 1, 0 respectively?

Anywho thanks.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't tend to do ZBrush renders myself (yet!), and usually I just do a screengrab with AAHalf on with a nice material applied, then maybe Unsharp Mask it.
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    That's what I do too if I use a Zbrush render to show something off.