Home Technical Talk

Best way to go about texturing this?

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, I'm working on a small snowpark scene for the iphone, well it's actually pretty big, and I need to know of the best to go about texturing it.

I was thinking of a 128x128 snow tiled texture, which should come out alright? or maybe i could even bump it up to 256?

But then, i need to know how to put in little details? for example on snowjumps they have blue lines marked onto the jump like this:

joi1.jpgBAh7CGkKIgw0NjB4MjMwaQtsKwe58NxJaQh.jpg

also details like tracks from people's skis and snowboards, how'd i texture those in?

I cant show the scene unfortately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    You could use decals for the tracks and lines. I'd use a tiling 64 for the base snow.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    You could use decals for the tracks and lines. I'd use a tiling 64 for the base snow.

how'd that work? any tutorials or such i could have a look at?

also 64? wouldnt that be far too small?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    anyone got links to stuff i could check out to help?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Can you please post some details about what Iphone engine you are using? Is it Unity, Torque, some other engine, or something in house?

Knowing that will help us know what you have to work with in terms of features.

If you don't have multiple UV sets or Decals its going to be tricky to texture the scene.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    We're using "Shiva".

I just need to know how to go about doing this for best results cos i dont really have a clue.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    If you are going to do a big scene you have to have some way over layering details on.

First you need to know if your engine supports Decals or Multiple UVs. If it doesn't support either you could try creating an extra set of polygons above the ground to add in those details but you could get flickering issues if you do that, and it might be noticeable as well depending on how close you get to the ground.

Really it comes down to what you have to work with. The ideal situation would be to use decals on a good tiling texture to add on the lines (decals are usually part of the engine unless you do the floating polygon trick I described above). Then you could use another UV set and a larger texture to try and add some discoloration to the snow in certain areas to make it look more realistic.

How you do all of that is dependent on how those features are implemented in Shiva (if they are implemented at all).

I haven't used Shiva before so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else can though.

The brute force way to do it though is to break it up into modular pieces in such a way that you can texture each line or section separately. This will result in more polygons but it's always an option if the engine your working with is really limited in what it can do.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    This is one of those instances you may actually consider just stretching your UV's to give a new texture. Resources are pretty limited on the iphone, maybe just stretch your small snow texture vertically for the ramp?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    im still massively confused about this, ive never done it before so what everyones saying doesnt make much sense to me hah