Home Technical Talk

Multiple UVs in Maya

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
I'm trying to get two textures to show up on a single object. I want each to use a unique UV set. One needs to tile and the other needs to wrap around the object.

I can get both UV sets to export and show up in our engine, but I can't figure out how to set things up in Maya so I can get 1 texture using 1 UV set and another using another UV set and have both show up on the same object.

I simply want to visualize things before I export them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Two ways (don't know if either will show up rendered in the viewport though):

#1 - Window > Relationship Editors > UV Linking > Texture-Centric
    #2 - In the Hypershade window, under the General Utilities Maya Nodes: Uv Chooser (Looks like a checkerboard with a hammer on top)

Also, how do you want them to show up on the same object? You can assign a shader by selecting just the faces you want it applied to if thats what you means (ie. select all the polygons making up the head, assign one shader, select all the polygons of the body, assign another).
  • Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allert polycounter lvl 11
    make a layered texture, add your textures, delete the green placeholder texture, choose a blendmode (or a masktexture). Then, assign the material to your object, RMB on your object and choose UV sets/UV linking, and connect the file nodes to their respective UV sets. By default, maya's default viewport renderer show a lowres version of the layered texture. If you want a high res preview, choose high quality rendering.

thats it :)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks that worked like a charm. Polycount wins again.