Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Murm's art dump

Hey guys, just gonna throw up work I have worked on recently and future WIP's. Let me know if the images are too big.

Here goes:

ODST

ODST_beauty.jpg

ODST_wires.jpg

Gem mine, concept from Diablo III. Still working on this, was rushed for my graduation, so doing a second pass on textures right now.

gem_mine.jpg

Started working on a crucio tank, concept by blizzard. Right now just working on the high poly.

tank2.jpg

I'll update as soon as there some more eye candy to show.

- Nate

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    that odst dude looks like a solid character, cool job. A little dirt/wear/interest around the 'camo' patterned areas might be nice is all (they seem to be standing out a fair bit).

And that tank is lookin cool so far, hope the hp turns out badass :)
  • Alec3d
    WOW I absolutely love the ODST, are all the armor pieces connected to the main body or are they separate? How did you model them?
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet work dude, like everyone says the ODST character is killer! The tank is up to a good start too, excited to see how it turns out!
  • Heart_Murmur
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to update you on the tank.

@Alec3d - Here is an image on how he is contstructed. I modeled all the hard surfaces in max(as you can see on the left), and then for clothes and the fingers I used zbrush.The right image shows the highlighted parts that are seperated from the main body. I also tweaked the low poly after I baked the normals to get better proportions.

ODST_construction.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I like the solider. Reminds me of Captain Power. Without the shiny gold armor of course!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Gem mine looks a little weird, it's probably the lighting at the moment makes the log heading 'into' the mine look like an impossible object like illusion. :D It's also possible it gives that impression due to it's going horizontal but the mine heads downward.
  • VikingJim
    im high fiving the crap out of your e-hand for the ODST.
    just curious as to his tri count and uv layout.
  • Heart_Murmur
    @Dekard - Yeah I agree dude, that piece is all over the place right now. I'm focusing more on the tank at the moment, so I won't be touching that for some time. Thanks for the input.

@VikingJim - Thanks! He weighs in at 8,348 tri's. Initially he was suppose to be put into Unreal, at one point he was, but I redid the UV's to acommdate unreal a bit a better, just never put him back in(kind of a hassle). That being said, the UV's are still a mess, Unreal has a specific place for certains parts so it can swap out pieces for customization. So the optimization I think could be better.

The head is a 1024 and body is a 2048( I recently tested at 1024 with no apparent loss from a practical game view). Anway here they are:

maps.jpg

Also some progress on the tank:

So this is an old picture, but just to give an idea of the part I'm working on for the tank:

tank4.jpg

Now the detailed bits of the engine:

tank6.jpg

tank7.jpg

And some random pieces:

tank3.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    bwahaha! Very nice, there is more detail in that part there than in the mothership in d9...
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice sub-d details in this latest post. There's been a big step ahead too on your Diablo-like scene since your start.
  • duxun
    FUCKING OZZY!!!1 ... CRAZY TRAIN !!! MAN...
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Love the hard surface stuff. :)
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Nice detail on the tank, hypnotizing even.
  • Akkiras
    The amount of detail in the engine is definitely splooge worthy. I couldn't imagine seeing the entire tank done with that detail, it would probably blow my mind.
  • n88tr
    First words out of my mouth when I saw the detail on your tank,

"Holy fuck!"

But yes it def shows the time you put in.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    heh the engine is so detailed it'll need its own 1024 or it'll look like noise =P

nicely made, i hope it bakes out well.

do the guy and the tank go together?
  • Heart_Murmur
    Thanks guys, the engine is definitely going to be the most complicated part of the tank. I'm going to shoot for the same amount of quality on the armor and what not, but I think it is going to need that contrast of low detail areas so the mind can make out the bigger shapes.

@Snaker - I agree with the baking, it is something I have thought about for sometime, hopefully it is not too noisy. The tank and soldier are seperate, the ODST is from Halo and the Crucio Siege tank is from Starcraft.
  • iamtravis316
    Offline / Send Message
    iamtravis316 polycounter lvl 11
    your stuff is looking pretty damn amazing. I also looked at your portfolio and I'm loving that other character with the long neck, its pretty sweet. Also those textures are lookin pretty darn good to. I had a quick question about your portfolio. I'm going to redo mine, and i was just wandering if you did yours in photoshop and if so how wide is it, like 900 pixels etc....?
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Heart_Murmur, you clearly have the skill to detail out hard surface meshes well - however that detail on the underside of the tank already reads busy for me. In my experience its best to zoom out and view the piece as a whole when adding detailing - as it an easy way to tell when you have gone over board.

Remember to give the eye areas to rest, even if a model is not a painting it doesn't mean we cant/shouldn't apply that same knowledge to our models.
  • Heart_Murmur
    @Iamtravis316 - Thanks man, the portfolio was mostly done with wordpress. I pretty much found a theme that resembled sorta what I want, gutted it of all the useless stuff, and modified it to what I wanted. This allowed me to have a news sections with easy updates, plus added pages to website with a couple clicks and some html. This was quite a process though, frustrating if you are unfamiliar with php and css. I had to go through a lot of the php/css and rewrite and edit some of the code so it did what I wanted. The highest width for my images will go is 1000 pixels.

@spacemonkey - Yeah I was afraid of that, I wasn't sure how far I could take the details, if I should keep going or pull them back some. I will try to simplify some of the shapes so it reads better. I appreciate the input, definitely a learning process for me.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Nice details on the engine; I agree with spacemonkey, it's a good idea to zoom out and look at the big picture, it's easy to forget about it and just cram every square inch with details. I'd be interested in seeing how that engine component looks in context with the rest of the model once the HP gets more developed. :)
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Loving that high poly engine, nicely done there. The ODST character is solid as well I think you've got some great stuff here.
  • Heart_Murmur
    @Eraserhead - Yeah I had tunnel vision on the engine, I now realize how small the components are and plan on reduceing the small details that will just look like noise in the normal map. Thanks.

@Kaburan - Thanks man.

Alright so update. I've been going at a snails pace, but I've been learning a ton, I've also been dabbling in animation so this thing will transform so it can siege. But I'll show the animation when the it is full and done.

tankA1.jpg
    tankA2.jpg
    tankA3.jpg
    tankA4.jpg
    tankA5.jpg

- Nate
  • Raider
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    some awesome detailing there mate, it will be insane once you get some textures on it as well :D
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    highpoly on tank is sick! Update!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That tank must be massive.
  • EarthQuake
    In addition to what spacemonkey said, something you need to consider is texture resolution. On an asset like this, it seems like a lot of those little details simply wouldn't have enough resolution to read well, many of the details look like they wouldn't read at all, but just sort of turn to noise when you bake.

The newest shots you've posted show a much better design sense, they are detailed but not overdone. Scale wise, the engine area looks like it should be 500 feet wide and is quite a bit detached stylistically from the rest of the tank.