Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to force the old PolyBoost UI in max 2010?

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
I really dislike the ribbon. It is slow, quirky and I'm just used to the old PolyBoost interface. Any technical artists out there figure out a way to get the old interface back? By luck I was also just wondering if it is maybe hidden or embedded in max2010?

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    its a reworked newer version in 2010, you can't have the old polyboost UI. if someone could be bothered they could probably create a new UI to look like the old polyboost UI.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a reworked newer version in 2010, you can't have the old polyboost UI. if someone could be bothered they could probably create a new UI to look like the old polyboost UI.

yeah there are a few new features i like. the new swiftloop preview and then buildEnds/buildCorner seems to work better. But the interface is a garbled mess. Moving the ribbon up top to the sides doesn't solve the slow responsiveness. Another thing I find annoying is I used to be able to hit "set flow" on vertices and I can't do that anymore with graphite.

I guess I should just stick with 2009.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I could show you how to map the Macroscripts to a maxscript interface so you do it yourself. Its not so hard.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Nobody's answered this question so far, but I'll try again:
    With everyone asking how to make 2010 behave like 2009, why not just use 2009?

Oh wait.. haha.. I heard it's barely possible to find warez versions of 2009 anymore ;) Suckers

Actually I was hoping to get 2010 behave like 2008. I hate 2009 but your 3ds clean makes it more intriguing now. Last time I used '09 it was so slow. Still on the fence because it sounds like polyboost can't be installed with your 3ds clean?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    perna wrote: »
    Nobody's answered this question so far, but I'll try again:
    With everyone asking how to make 2010 behave like 2009, why not just use 2009?

Oh wait.. haha.. I heard it's barely possible to find warez versions of 2009 anymore ;) Suckers

...and the other half of the population are confronted with team-wide upgrades in a studio environment. i thankfully do not have to use 2010 (yet - for now we have to ship a game after all) but it can only be a matter of time, really.

therefore... bring on the knowledge to make custom interfaces for 2010! i didn't care for polyboost so far (got too many tools that are only good for special occasions already) but if there's some good stuff in there, why not integrate it in style.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stripping it down would make learning it a little harder. The most useful feature of the ribbon is the 8 pages of documentation that pops up and punishes you for hovering over a button too long.

I imagine its a helpful feature to someone wondering what the button does, but after the initial curiosity is satisfied its pretty damn annoying.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I could show you how to map the Macroscripts to a maxscript interface so you do it yourself. Its not so hard.

Yes plz. :)