Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly Armorsuit

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to highpoly-modeling and I'm gonna use this thread to show you my progress on this (my first) highpoly-model. :)

So I did this piece of concept art, ...
... and began to model, ...... and gave up hopeless. Am I doing it right? How should I continue? The human model is a base-mesh for ZBrush (which I'm gonna buy soon – hopefully). Maybe Cinema 4D isn't the best application for doing subdivision surface modeling, but I have no choice.  Cheers, Ngon

Replies

• Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, what's making you give up hopeless because It's hard to tell what's wrong.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Decent start but I reckon you start with easier subject matter if you're just learning to do HP modeling. Learn to master edge control and when and where to break objects into different pieces etc.

There's a great thread here on PC that is rather extensive with a lot of info on how to make certain parts:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014

I have been making a few tuts lately for a buddy of mine who is just starting to get in to HP modeling so I'll share these with you too, maybe you're past this but if not, the principles here might help you out.

I'm not instructor so these images may not convey exactly what I'm trying to say as clearly as i possibly could but I think it gets a few good points across:

3dstuff.jpg

coolstuff.jpg

coolstuf2.jpg

sorry if the images are too small :(
  • Ngon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that's interesting, thanks. I think I need to go through the whole thread first. Hehe
    I hope my english is with me.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    since this is your first sub-d model, i think it would help to not model more than you have to. i think that modeling a base body has made the task harder for you. model only the armor you have in your concept.

i'd mirror your concept and drop it directly in your modeling application to reference and build from.
  • Ngon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked the thread out and made a quick model with the new technique.
    Hopefully I can continue on that Armorsuit now. :)

[img removed][/img][img removed][/img]
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Wow thats some improvement man :D.

Ive seen over night improvement but improvement in 6 and a half hours is pretty crazy.