Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CrysisMod-reception room

Hello, I have a similar topic going at cgtalk but I would like to get crits and comments from people here as well as what to fix on this so I can get it to portfolio level.
test2-1.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks a bit too crowded, maybe just the shape of the room... General wear/tear level of the textures don't match with that of the sofa. Also I would use a horizontal element which separates the pipes(EDIT: or bars?) and the wall like the red one below:

roomq.jpg

EDIT: and maybe too many lights? I agree it looks good but don't know what would be when in a real game case.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I could try a simple texture element to separate and maybe lessen the wear and tear of the room. Is the room way to simple or boring for me to spend time on and should I try to move on to way more complex types of props/environments?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    just an idea, but maybe one of the lights could be burnt out or flickering just to give the room some atmosphere.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like a interesting idea
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I don't feel that you confidently excuted this room. As in, you didn't put any real throught into it, just randomly put some stuff in a box until you thought it was "ok". Long story short, get a reference to work from, but I'll go into some more info.

Basically, you have two main conflicts with this scene. Context of the room versus what's in it. The room itself looks like a broom closet or a storage room in the basement yet you've decored it with upscale furnature. While it is possible someone could do this, the user has to chuckle at the absurdity of it all. The plant needs to be researched further (it's a scaled down a palm tree, not an office plant), and under these conditions would no survive.

The second major conflict is the engine versus the style of the art. Crysis is a top end, photoreal game, but the style of art used is designed for a previous generation (q3, hl, 1998-2000). This refers only to the style of detail execution, not the quality.

Back to the original point, get a reference and start over from the ground up. I mean what are you really losing? A box and a picture of a texture? Things to consider: trim everything, and make it look like a place people are actualy told to wait in.

http://www.designforhealth.com/yoshi1.jpg
    http://www.cedarparkchiro.com/Waiting%20Room.jpg
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/witnesses/images/London_Witness_waiting_room.jpg
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the detailed help, the mod this is for is for a command and conquer mod that is supposed to be in the future but the mod leader wants this to be not comp hey as it is supposed to be in a nuclear reactor area. Being it is in that kinda area he did not want it to be welcoming as a reception area.Sorry my work has came off as a joke or anything bad or out of date to you or others and sorry to come across as rude or mad.Recently I moved from WI to CA to try to get into the game art field as I went to college for game art and design and came back to WI and worked on a portfolio since and have also tried to keep with times in my own work that is usually just me alone modding my own work.Ill try to bring the room more with today's times and thanks for explaining the time frame as I heard something similar before but it was not clear and I want to learn as much as I can and be the best artist I can be and work for great studios.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when it comes to maybe doing a solo project the would be next gen what might be some good ideas for me to try a plaza or maybe a temple area like uncharted?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, I think the best thing you should do for your next project, is to bike around, and find something awesome. A small scene, a rusty entraceway, a vine encrusted wall, a filthy alleyway. Just whatever you find fascinating. Take about 1000 photos of it, and then reproduce it in 3d. There are so many details in real life that it is simply impossible to just imagine up. I plan on doing exactly that in the next month or two with some cool locales around where I work.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hercwad/3155211469/sizes/l/ I came across this and loved its modern design and it would be within my means.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That's an even more ambitious project than your last one!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    america plaza, nice